Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new top for my SS and they told me that my top is off a 1965. Could my power top be off a 1965? How can I tell? The old top fits perfectly. Thank you.
Bob

·
Premium Member
17,432 Posts
I got a new top for my SS and they told me that my top is off a 1965.
Who is "They"? Upholstery shop? Resto supplier?

and by top, do they mean the top frame or just the top material?

Windshields, frames, suspension, etc are interchangable between 65 and 66, so maybe the convertible top frames are too...

I haven't looked at a 64-65 top frame up close, but looking at my 66 (several top frames), I can not recall seeing any markings other than part numbers that would indicate different years. And I had it completely disassembled and blasted then I reassembled it... They might physically bolt in place, but I would think the upholstery either wouldn't fit (you said the previuos top looked fine), or there wouldn't be any big difference...

I do know the opening in the body around the back of the top (pinchweld area) is completely different between 1965 and 1966, but that wouldn't relate to the top frame.

The power top frames are different from manual top frames, so if it was originally a manual top, then it might have been easier finding the 65 power setup...

If the old top material looked okay, fit correctly (as did the rest of the top/weatherstripping), I don't think I would worry about it...

Sounds a little fishy to me... Just don't let the upholstery shop charge you for two tops (they should know before ordering, unless its already apart)...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My sister runs the upholstery shop that her and I own. The top the supplier (ACME) gave us didn't fit. We brought the one to him that's on it now and he said it's for a '65, but he's is going to match it. He's not charging us any more for it. The top for the '66 goes down a couple of inches more in the rear and it's a couple of inches shorter in width. A window guy said that there is body work done on the drivers side and maybe the top was replaced with a '65. He said everything seems to match up fine. Is this something that I should be concerned about?
Thank you very much,
Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts