Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 65 console is a POS. Even if good it is not very good. Have any of you put a 66 console into a 65? That console has a locking compartment and looks much better. Thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Automatic or 4sp console? If it is an auto, you might need a '66 or '67 shifter as the center attaching screws for the console attach to the shifter assembly. If it a 4sp, you should only need the 3 floor brackets. Have never seen '65 brackets, so you might remove them and install the '66 '67 brackets. I'm with you on looks, '66 console looks better. If you don't care about looking original, do it.

·
Banned
9,472 Posts
Its been done many times. I like the door also but prefer the original unit just for the "stock" look. I`m having a hard time finding the rear piece for my car so I may look into the 66-67 console. Doesnt look out of place but for me it takes some getting use to because I know it isnt correct.

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
As mentioned you can certainly use a 66-67 console.
Probably would look fine.
As a purist I always think it looks odd or out of place when the wrong console is used in a car.
I have seen 68-72 style consoles in 66 Chevelles. It just looks wrong to me.
1965 Impala consoles tend to end up in a lot of other years and models of chevrolet cars. There must have been a lot of those around.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is an automatic.
Thank you!

Automatic or 4sp console? If it is an auto, you might need a '66 or '67 shifter as the center attaching screws for the console attach to the shifter assembly. If it a 4sp, you should only need the 3 floor brackets. Have never seen '65 brackets, so you might remove them and install the '66 '67 brackets. I'm with you on looks, '66 console looks better. If you don't care about looking original, do it.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I need to go home and look but I know my console and real tailpiece are different. One is the fine line spacing and the other is wider line spacing. Which one do you need?
Thanks

Its been done many times. I like the door also but prefer the original unit just for the "stock" look. I`m having a hard time finding the rear piece for my car so I may look into the 66-67 console. Doesnt look out of place but for me it takes some getting use to because I know it isnt correct.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I need to go home and look but I know my console and real tailpiece are different. One is the fine line spacing and the other is wider line spacing. Which one do you need?
Thanks
Thank you! It is an automatic. I have a friend with a 66. I'll go check it out.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Guys, I have a real 66 console for sale. Let me know, original unit. Took out to use a horse shoe shifter for my 66. Glad to help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts