Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend was detailing his 66 Chevelle engine compartment when the wires easily pulled out of the back of the alternator, also pulling out of the plastic connector.

He replaced the connector with one from the local auto parts store, but it uses black and blue wires where the original (and harness) uses black and white wires...

He hooked it up, and the Gen light goes out when started (it does illuminate when key is in the "Run" position, but engine not running).

Can we assume that since the GEN light goes off, that he has the wires correct?

I know both wires from the alternator go directly to the regulator (I have wiring diagrams), but which terminals? I can't see the numbers/letters on the regulator, but the alternator has a "F" (field) and another letter...

Thanks

Just want to be sure we got it right...

Oh yeah, I hooked a volt meter up, and while it did go from 12-volts to about 13.5-volts (at about 1000-1500 RPMs), it went very slowely (like 20-30 seconds to rise that much)... This was at the battery... Does it sound like a weak alternator?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The regulator is numbered F-2-3-4 for the 4 terminals. F is the field terminal which is the original dark wire which I though was dark blue on a 66. That’s one wire that goes to the alternator. The other alternator wire, relay, originally a white goes to terminal 2 on the regulator. Mix them up and it won’t charge right. Offhand it sounds like it’s right.
It shouldn’t take that long to get the voltage up. I usually first measure things at the alternator. There's a few methods for checking out the system. This thread has a couple. Try Peter's on the last page. If you need a new regulator Autozone sells the Wells Part Number VR715 solid state regulator for around $11.00. Suggest using that over the imported aftermarket mechanical units.
http://www.chevelles.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=22;t=002353;p=4

1 - 3 of 3 Posts