Team Chevelle banner

66 chevelle steering wheel horn diagram

46K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  03cts sport 
#1 ·
I have a 66 Chevelle SS with the 2 spoke original black plastic steering wheel. I have the horn ring and horn cap. I am missing everything else with the exception of the turn signal cancelling cam. I think I have most of the parts, however, I need a diaghram to show me how it goes back together.

Any help is appreciated.

Harold

#7 ·
Here's what I sent to Harold. Any ?'s, just PM me. NOTE: the cancel cam, spring, and the horn cap are not shown. I assume you already know what they look like.

Tom

I'll try to explain it in words starting from the cancel cam on the inside of the column. Start with the cancel cam with the horn contact on it and put that on the shaft with the contact pointing towards the driver's seat. A spring goes on the shaft on top of the cancel cam. The steering wheel goes on next with the horn contact on the cancel cam going through the steering wheel. Put the nut on the shaft at this point. The parts in the picture of the metal and the white plastic that I sent you (pic# 1) goes on next, metal first with tabs up. The white plastic next (see pic 3 for parts on steering wheel). The horn ring goes on next. There is a plastic ring with three holes in it that goes on next. It has 3 plastic stand-offs that go through the horn ring. The 3 phillips screws hold the horn ring to the steering wheel (see pic4). The horn cap goes on next. That's it. Let me know if that makes sense.

Attachments

#21 ·
Here's what I sent to Harold. Any ?'s, just PM me. NOTE: the cancel cam, spring, and the horn cap are not shown. I assume you already know what they look like.

Tom

I'll try to explain it in words starting from the cancel cam on the inside of the column. Start with the cancel cam with the horn contact on it and put that on the shaft with the contact pointing towards the driver's seat. A spring goes on the shaft on top of the cancel cam. The steering wheel goes on next with the horn contact on the cancel cam going through the steering wheel. Put the nut on the shaft at this point. The parts in the picture of the metal and the white plastic that I sent you (pic# 1) goes on next, metal first with tabs up. The white plastic next (see pic 3 for parts on steering wheel). The horn ring goes on next. There is a plastic ring with three holes in it that goes on next. It has 3 plastic stand-offs that go through the horn ring. The 3 phillips screws hold the horn ring to the steering wheel (see pic4). The horn cap goes on next. That's it. Let me know if that makes sense.

How are your pieces different from this set?

#14 ·
Re: 66 chevelle heater cables diagram

Hi Harold, this is like deja-vu all over again :) Do a search for 66 horn. I had replied to your question about this on Oct 10, 2005.... Check it out again and let me know if it makes sense. You may want to buy an assembly manual. There's a bunch of good diagrams in it that will help with the assembly of your car. Best $30 you can spend.

Tom

#17 ·
Re: 66 chevelle heater cables diagram

The horn question for a 66 I can offer some info on, as my 66 came without at working horn.

I have the two spoke wheel. I bought 3 horn parts kits. None fixed it.

There should be pictures here somewhere, but I would buy the shop manual.

I replaced the turn signal cancelling cam, a major part of the horn. Still no horn. I had power at the spring loaded plunger and if I crossed it to ground with a screwdriver the horn blew....

After six months of messing with it, I figured out that power comes to the horn button via the wiring and to the spring loaded plunger that extends through the tube part of the cancel cam and then through the hub of the wheel It then contacts the against the underside of the belleville spring, (round spring disk thingie) when the horn is pressed.

The round disk thingy goes convex side up. The outer edge sits in a recess in the top of the steering wheel. The METAL PORTION of the recess in the steering wheel where the spring disk thingie sits is the ground path! Mine was nicely painted by the prevoius owner, insulating it. 30 seconds with a pocket knife and I had a horn!

There is also a ground wire that makes the ground across the two parts of the rag joint at the steering shaft connection that need to be clean and conducting.

A picture would explain it better, and if I find one later I will try to make it available.

#19 ·
And make sure the metal part of the steering wheel hub is clean so when you push the horn button, it grounds and blows the horn. It took me a year to figure this out on my 66.

#20 ·
Hello.
I am also having trouble with this on my 67 with the standard steering wheel with the buttons in the wings of the wheel.
The wheel has the contacts in place with wires coming out. Everything was gutted from from the hub. All that remains is the white switch assembly and a a black plastic cover.
Not sure how this gets put together. I am about to purchase the 3 piece horn kit, but could use some help in what this should look like. I did see the three photos below, but still not able to visualize.
Is anyone aware of a diagram of how this goes together. Not sure I have all the pieces.
thanks
Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.