Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Group,

My 66 SS was factory equipped with a drivers side remote mirror which was long gone. Alas, I got a fairly nice one on Ebay, only to run into a big problem. The base Part #5955700 that mount's on the 1 3/4 inch bowtie embossed neck has the mirror face assmbly towards the front of the car. (*ss backwards) Like the base should be used on a passenger side door which I am fairly sure does not exsist for 66 Chevelles.

I did install the mounting bracket and gaskets that lined up perfectly with the factory hole mount in the driver side door skin. But again, the base is or looks to be used for the passenger door side. Anyone go some part numbers or answers for this one? Also, anyone have a spare remote mirror base for the driver side? Any help or answers would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the lengthy ramble.

Dwaine
66SS

·
Registered
934 Posts
The assembly manual will probably show the part and give part numbers.

My 66 has signs of it once having a remote mirror on the driver side too.

How rare is this option on a 66 anyway?

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 C10 stepside 350
1971 Cheyenne 20 3/4 ton
Somebody stop me... :)

Looking for Chevelle or Impala parts? Click here:
Chevelle parts for sale

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
I always thought the remote mirror with the round head was the same from 1964 to 1967, unlike the conventional mirror which had a base that came to a point on '64 & 65, then the base was blunt on '66 through '68 Chevelles. Those remote mirrors were quite rare although I can't find production figures. Until they began reproducing them a few years back it was the sort of thing that people would buy a car for, remove them and resell the car.
When documenting my '67 years ago I received from GM Canada a list containing 50 cars built around mine. Of those 50, 2 got that D33 mirror. Try to find one today. The repros are excellent; check with Ground Up. They were a bit pricey but at least they are available. Early Birds in Toronto has them at about $100 Cdn. or so.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cam,

I have seen the repo mirrors but they are 1967 and up. The last repo remote mirror I saw was with the 2 1/4 inch neck and was running around 105.00 dollars. That repo unit is for the impala. The correct remote mirror for the chevelle has a shorter neck 1 3/4 inches in length. Both 65-66 Impala and Chevelle mirror necks will carry the chevy bow tie embossed on the neck. I have also read were the bases are slightly different in size. From what I read the Impala's base as slightly larger but in the same shape.

The 1964 chevelle remote mirror did not have the bow tie embossed on the neck. As far as finding an 1966 original chevelle remote mirror for sale? They are out there but rare and carry a price to get them. Anyone have a picture of one that was factory mounted on there car and can send me a pic? I am still stuck here on this remote mirror base issue and looking for insight. Thanks again for the replys and feedback. Happy upcoming Holidays to everyone!

Dwaine
66SS

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.