Team Chevelle banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 chevelle malibu convertible on the road now for a year and I really miss my tunes. I do not have a radio. I currently have a radio delete trim.

What modern radio's or cd players will fit in the dash without cutting the dash. I don't want to pay an arm or a leg for it. Your basic AM/FM/Casset or cd will do so that I can just hear some tunes. The sounds of the motor, road and wind will drown out anything you can gain with a top of the line radio/CD.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
17,531 Posts
For an In-dash radio, I think you have to go with the Custom Autosounds setup...

http://www.custom-autosound.com/

thats their website BUT they are also available through parts suppliers like OPGI, Ground Up (I think ) and maybe Year One (as well as others)... There systems will fit right in the factory hole, and look kind of like they are older models...

I don't think there are any in-dash CD players though. I don't think the dash opening is big enough... If you want a CD, have to get a changer or glove-box mount.

Custon Autosound also has a Secret Audio system, which you can hide anywhere and has a wired remote (so you can have the controller next to you, but put it away when not in use...
They also have a compatible CD changer you can mount in the truck and still control with the same wired remote...
This would allow you to keep the look of the Rdaio Delete (if you wanted). I think there are antennas that will work when hidden/mounted inside (under dash, etc)?

My friend has one of the Secret systems in his 66. Not sure how well it works. The haed unit was mounted above the glove box (behind the dash)... No cassette player and the CD is only the changer...

I put an inexpensive Pioneer in the glovebox of my 66. Kind of a pain to reach (but it has the single CD right there), but I can keep the Radio Delete panel... Funny thing, after 8-9 years running with the radio delete, I have only had one guy question why I had an antenna (rear mounted). I don't know if I ever really thought about that myself...

If you have a Radio Delete panel, do you not have an antenna hole?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I bought the car it was a wreck. The entire interior was gutted. The car had a radio at one time but I found the radio delete cover at a swap meet and decided to use it until i could find a working radio that fit. My car has the rear fender mount antenna. The car is now restored inside and out and I am finishing up the small details. The glovebox or trunk option doesn't sound bad.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts