Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to know if anyone knew why some of the 66 chevelle hood louvers are much heavier than others. I have two sets, the ones that came on my original hood are much heavier than another set that I got with an extra hood when I was restoring my car. Why the difference? Is one rarer than the other? Is there an advantage to one over the other? Any help in answering these questions would be appreciate.

·
Registered
117 Posts
According to the 'CHEVELLE SS RESTORATION GUIDE' written by Paul A. Herd, there was only ont\e set of louvers. Part # 3891430 was used on both sides. Maybe the lighter set is a reproduction. By the way, the part number for the left base is 3891431-LH and the right base is 3891432-RH. Hope this helps.

Bob Murray
Aces #01941

·
Registered
337 Posts
One set could be made by a different manufacturer Gm changes manufactures all the time

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
My advise - don't rely on Herd's book for accurate part numbers!! What the book contains (along with lots of misinformation) is numbers from the GM assembly manuals. These are often NOT post-production part numbers. According to the GM parts manuals, the louvers for the 66 SS hood are 3890967 (LH) and 3890968 (RH). The inserts are listed as 3890969.

Here's an example where you'd never find discontinued louvers and inserts by relying on the Herd book. See the post re: 70 master cylinder for another example

------------------
Rainer
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
[email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.