Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a stiffer frame on a budget. My current 1966 hardtop frame is somewhat beat up- seen better days. I am somewhat of a newbie, but a quick learner. I have rebuilt all steering and suspension, including a-arms. While doing this, I got a good look at the frame and started thinking about it. I realize that this is a HUGE project, however I am getting info together to see if I can do part or all of it. I know that entire new frames can be bought for big bucks. I found a guy who reconditions Chevelle frames, powdercoats them, then sells them for around $2800. Would a '66 or '67 convertible frame, which is fully boxed be a budget alternative. I don't think my current frame is worth doing all the work. i would use all the suspension stuff I put on to save bucks- it is top quality from SC&C, Hotchkis, etc. I would be doing all this in my garage, so removing the motor/tranny and body would be quite the experience for me. I would appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,421 Posts
If you are really a hands on person it's a big job but not that hard as long as your equipped to do it. The biggest part is that you have to figure out how your going to lift the body off and support it while removing the frame. When I did a 67 Corvette I had years ago I jacked the car up supported the body by jack stands lowered the frame down and pulled the already disassembled frame out the back of it. Never pulled a car off the frame before and did it all by myself.

67 Corvette Frame Off Slideshow by 12bolt | Photobucket

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
What's wrong with yours? I boxed a frame using eighth inch plate and square tube. Vert frames are hard to find. I know there are kits of laser cut steel that you just weld in but unsure if available for your year. If you are not redoing the body and your frame is not damaged I would not take it apart. Lots of posts in body shop on how to seperate the car from frame.

·
Registered
947 Posts
If you really think your frame is that far gone, I say go for it. Go to Harbor Freight and get a cherry picker and an engine stand, and other than that there isn't much you will need other than all the basic tools which I am assuming you already have.

I lifted my body off the frame following this exact process, using a couple of floor jacks and a few lengths of 4x6 lumber:

Just make sure you double (and triple) check you disconnected everything before you begin to lift the body.

One thing I can guarantee is that because you will be doing a lot of disassembly, you will find yourself thinking "while I'm at it, might as well do this too". If you're going to do this project, I would advise having room in your budget for all the "might as well" stuff, in addition to all the obvious things like motor mounts, body mount bushings, so on and so forth.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm in the final steps of swapping my rusted frame from my 67 convertible. Let me tell you that if it wasn't 100% necessary, it's never something I'd undertake for fun or for a small upgrade. I wonder if the place you found this frame for $2800 is in Texas, if so, I reached out to them when I was looking for mine. Aside from them, finding another convertible frame was incredibly hard. I'd think you'd see a huge difference from the suspension components you're using and not much from the frame swap itself. If it were me, I'd clean it up, make sure it's square and have it powdercoated and call it a day.

·
Banned
4,739 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts