Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pulling my hair out. I just spent $500 on a perfect 1966 3 speed auto console and come to find out the mounting brackets don't line up with the 4-speed console ones. Also the hole cut in the floor for the 4-speed console doesn't even come close to what I need for the auto one. Is all of this normal?
Last and definitely not least, I bought a beautiful NOS condition 1966 wood wheel for my car. I used a 1967 wood wheel hub I had and it seems to bind up a bit. Can someone please help me out??? I would love to give someone a call who has done a 66 conversion from manual to auto transmission if you feel like giving out your number.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Gold Founding Member
462 Posts
66 the auto uses a different mounting bracket than the 4 speed. Year One has the right ones for about $30.00.Also check their transmission tunnel plates as the auto and 4 speed are also different.CFR.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I just went through this with my son's 67. It was a auto and we went to a 4- speed. I had to change the shift hump which is about 32 bucks and also buy new mounting brackets for the console. Any other questions e-mail me. Slime

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will I need to physically cut the sheetmetal in my transmission hump? What is the best way to patch the old opening?

Thanks for your help.

Dan

·
Registered
313 Posts
A suggestion in case you have not already noticed.... I mounted the auto shifter by lining it up on over the spot where the seat support brace curves over the driveshaft. I checked the alignment of the bolt and nut after the first hole and noticed the nut would not go on the bolt. The hole was too close to the brace channel. I had to shift it forward a fraction of an inch so that all four holes would go through the floorpan as well as the narrow horizontal part of the floorpan seat brace.

Also you will find shifter takes the place of the center brace from the kit you get, you can toss it.

One last thing I didn't do that I wish I had. We had the braces mounted to the console, lined everything up and marked the locations, then took the braces off the console to tack them on and weld them. WRONG. The bracket screw hole locations for the rear bracket were just a little off and I had to put bigger holes in my restored console. Tack weld them on while they are screwed into the console so you won't have my error.
jmw

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.