Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a guy who shows up periodically at the cruises in a 66 SS Chevelle with 427 emblems and claims it's an original car and it's always for sale. He had yet another one at the Turkey Rod Run in Daytona last Thanksgiving weekend, also for sale. I just don't remember this possibility in anything but full size or Corvette in '66. I thought the 396/375 was the big Chevelle motor in that year. If it was in fact available, how many were there? Thanks

·
Registered
876 Posts
Yep, as far as I know all 6 & 7 427's were dealer drop in's but ya never know what strings were pulled back than, but I still don't believe the factory droped any 427's in any A bodied cars in '66 or '67.
-----------
Brett
'67
SS396
clone

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Brett is correct. The factory sponsored or sanctioned a dealer program to put a 427 with badges from the 427 Impala into a new Chevelle SS396. It was never a factory option but was widely accepted like the Copo cars as a dealer installed option in 66 and 67 (67 for sure).

This is what I did with my car (take a peek below) except that mine is just for fun and I have the original 396 engine in the garage. If your buddy has the original dealer paperwork showing that it is an original SS427 it's worth a bunch. Otherwise it's BS or not worth the big price if it can't be confirmed.

It makes a great (and wild) car. Mine has the Impala SS427 badges which are identical in every way to the stock badges (except for the "427"). I challenge you to tell it doesn't look factory outside but I admit what I did. I would not expect to get big money for mine unless I could provide the paperwork because if I can do it without you knowing...so can he. Don't pay a big price for the car unless he can prove it.
Chuck
ps: the odds of him having two SS427s is extremely slim.
------------------
Chuck Bonasera
Nor-Cal ChevelleCaminos
[email protected]
http://nor-cal.chevelles.net/chuck.html

[This message has been edited by Chuck B (edited 10-26-2001).]

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Up intil the 1970 model year GM had a corporate policy that no engine larger than 400 cubic's could be placed in any car except the full Impalas and the Corvette. Some dealers wanted more, so they purchased the basic SS396 and then transplanted 427 engines into the cars for the paying customers. It should be noted that these swaps cost a lot of money, often as much as the car itself. So these cars were few and far between. Around 1969 some clever dealers along with Chevy central office people wanted to get Chevy more involved in racing, so they used the fleet ordering system (COPO) to get the 427 engines installed on the assembly lines in 1969. They only drawback was that they could not get it done in a SS, the had to use the basic cars to accomplish this. After all that all the racers wanted, no frill, light weight cars for drag racing the Chevelles and road racing the Camaros.

S., NO 427 Chevelle SS ever existed as far is GM building it. Any such car is a dealer/onwer built car. Never beleive what people tell you and only 10% of what you see.

·
Registered
116 Posts
elcamino, slight correction. Some of the first '69 COPO Camaros were in fact SS cars. The first 50 Yenko Camaros were coded on the trim tag X66 which was an SS396. Later COPO cars were base cars X44's and X11's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.