Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend has a '66 SS Chevelle that is an original bench seat 4-speed car. It has the diecast chrome bezel around the shifter. He has known the car since it was nearly new and thinks that it came from the factory with the chrome bezel.
It has always been my understanding that the '66 cars only had a plastic ring around the shifter as a trim piece. The diecast chrome bezel was supposedly only offered in '67 on the bench seat manual transmission cars.
The '66 in question was built in April of 1966. Could it be that later production '66 models came with the chrome diecast bezel? Just curious as to whether this may be another production update and variation. I realize that it would have been a simple deal for the owner to order the parts and install them at a later date.
Can anyone shed some light on this???????

·
Premium Member
17,401 Posts
The 1966 Chevelle floor shifts all use the same bezel (bench and buckets, console or no console, three-speed or four-speed). It is metal, and as far as I have seen, is virtually identical to the 67 version, EXCEPT the chrome on the latter. I would think its very likely that the chrome bezel came on later production cars, although I have not seen any with the chrome piece, only painted.

This piece appears to be stamped metal (I've bead blasted a few and I don't think they're die-cast, but I'm not sure)? And is oval in shape with about 7 screw holes. I think this is the piece you're asking about.

I have never seen a plastic piece around the shifter.

I am pretty confident, but it has been a while since I checked this out...

[This message has been edited by 1966_L78 (edited 05-25-2001).]

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
66_L78, I am familiar with the steel stamped ring that you refer to that is used on the 64-66 floor shift cars. The bezel that I am referring to IS a diecast piece that is entirely different than the steel ring that you have discussed. This die cast bezel was used on the '67 models and is chrome plated. It has the part number 3903960 imprinted on the underside.
My earlier post was just an inquiry as to whether or not the diecast item might have appeared on some late '66 cars.
I hope this information helps, in that there are separate pieces for the different years.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.