Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all
i am in the process of cleaning installing an original am radio in my 66 el camino.after connecting the hot wire and changing the bulb the unit shows no sign of life, except when the case touches metal it sparks.i know only enough about electrical to be dangerous. can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to check the radio and hook it up correctly
thanks in advance for your help

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The case NEEDS to be grounded! What you are seeing when you "the case touches metal" is the completion of the circuit. FIRST, be sure you have the "HOT" wire connected through a fuse! Be sure the speaker and the antenna are both hooked up. THEN, connect a wire from the metal case of the radio to a GOOD ground. The radio should function under these conditions. If the fuse blows violently, there is a short within the radio, more than likely the output transistor. The most important part is be sure you have the "hot" lead hooked to a fused source. ABOVE ALL, BE SURE THAT YOU HAVE PROPERLY IDENTIFIED THE 12 VOLT "HOT" TERMINAL ON THE RADIO!

------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
593,000 miles on car.
Hey, if it's got wheels, DRIVE IT!
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info jerry.it raises more than one question ill settle for one
how do i positively i.d the hot terminal on the radio.i cant find the info in any of my manuals.every thing ihave shows the factory hot to the radio.there are hookups for 3 wires 1hot 2 speakers? any way to test it out of the car.ooops thats two questions
jason

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
Looking at the back of your radio the connectors will be in the lower right hand corner, going from left to right the first two are your speaker connections Neg Pos and the one to the far right is your power lead Pos, and like I said on the Chevelle list there should be a bracket/terminal on the lower right hand of the radio, this is with the radio facing you, this is your ground. But you can ground any where on the radio chassis! as far as testing out of the car, use a battery/battery charger and a speaker, hook pos to pos terminal on radio hook neg to radio chassis, and hook the two radio terminals to the speaker, using aligator clip jumpers, if this is beyond your capabilities maybe take it to an automotive radio shop that installs.

Rocky

------------------
A Man And His Chevelle!
It's A Beautiful Thing.

MACC Member #220
TC Member #1530

My66SS

[This message has been edited by rocks66ss (edited 12-08-2002).]

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but there should be a threaded lug on the back of your radio that
gets bolted to the support brace hanging down from above the radio. That support brace is intended to support and stabilize the rear end your the radio. It is also the radio case ground.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks to all
it works and fits great

jason pollock

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by charbilly2001:
Correct me if I am wrong but there should be a threaded lug on the back of your radio that
gets bolted to the support brace hanging down from above the radio. That support brace is intended to support and stabilize the rear end your the radio. It is also the radio case ground.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill,
It CAN be used as a ground, but there is a separate connection in the harness for ground. If the radio was removed before, chances are the bracket isn't even there anymore.

------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
593,000 miles on car.
Hey, if it's got wheels, DRIVE IT!
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jerry
where in the harness is the ground?on my harness the only wiring for the radio is the hot .i used the support bracket as original.i couldnt find an original speaker harness or a repo so i cobbled one together.bill in my excitment at getting it working i didn't notice your question apoligies

thanks all jason

1 - 8 of 8 Posts