Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried posting this in the body shop forum but, got no response. Does the drip rail molding go over the vinyl top material on the 67 Chevelle ???? I'm not sure how this is supposed to be finished off, at this point. When I took the top off it had a beed of silicone in the drip rail where the vinyl top met the drip rail. This did not look right to me, but I can not be sure. Any information would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks,

·
Banned
1,142 Posts
It is supposed to pinch between the trim and the drip rail but if you have repop trim it may be to tight. I have not gotten to mine yet but I will be doing the same thing a couple months. Let me know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Billy, I have the original trim. That is what my painter had suggested, but we were not sure if that was how it was supposed be. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
If your currently painting the car, do yourself a favor and sand off the excess coats of primers and sealers that are on the drip rails. When new, the drip rails had minimal primer and paint. With todays "thicker" paints and multipul coats of primer for block sanding it's real easy to forget that the drip rails are getting built up with excess paint materials. It becomes real apparent when you are trying to add the drip rail molding after paint work that you have screwed up. Now add the thickness of the vinyl top and it gets even worse.

·
Premium Member
66 Chevelle SS396 & 66 Chevelle 327 Convertible.
7,194 Posts
Is it possible that there was also a hard plastic strip that went between the drip rail aluminium trim and the vinyl covering that held the vinyl down in the drip rail. I saw this on a 67; is it incorrect?

Also, is there anywhere you can get the 4 metal retainers that held on the side part of the molding at the rear beltline or the 3 clips that held on the triangular part of the rear moldings?

Who make the most authentic vinyl molding? I heard some place out of Seatle; but have also heard they order it from a company called ACMO, or something like that, out of California.

·
Registered
203 Posts
the hard plastic strip is correct. i had it on my 67 vinyl top. it was very brittle and was likely some type of sealant , kind of clear but looked beige due to aging in sun. I am replacing my top and will likely put down a bead of sealant in the same area , after the trim is back on.

·
Premium Member
66 Chevelle SS396 & 66 Chevelle 327 Convertible.
7,194 Posts
It appear that both 2 dr ht and 2 dr ht w/ vinyl cover used the same back window moldings, upper(7580180-1) and lower (7516070-1) acccoring to my 66 crash sheets. Either the crash sheets are missing the front windshield moldings or they are called something like Scalp, Drip front.

It looks like there was two front vinyl cover retainers (7636962-1) and one rear vinyl cover retainer (48892692). I wonder if this was some material that went over the vinyl cover that staples went though?

There are 2 molding or trim pieces called "Retainer, Rail W/Strip (7649434-5) for a 2 dr ht @ $6.75. I wonder if these are the plastic strips. Anyone know?

And there are 2 moldings or trim pieces call W/Strip, Roof Rail (7628184-5) for a 2 dr ht @ $15.60. Anyone know what these are. I guess I am confussed with the terminology.

Mexbkr, are your sure that your 67 top had not been replaced? Thanks.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I took off the vinyl top a few months ago as part of my restoration. Underneath the moulding in the front and rear window areas, the only thing holding the top was the staples. You also have the moulding trim retaining pins but they are for the moulding and not the vinyl top itself.

I am certain that my top has not been replaced, as I bought my 67 from the original owner and the rust-thru holes in the rear beneath the top tells me no one had ever replaced the top. I think I took pictures of this "sealant" stuff as I was not sure what it was. It broke off in short pieces as I removed it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts