Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the difference is between a 66 and a 67 steering column?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
The '66 and '67 columns SHOULD be the same dimensionally, however the '67 has a collapsable collar done for safety reasons. I think the assembly should be able to fit, but never having actually done it myself, you should solicit more opinions. I seem to remember this coming up in the past, so try searching the site.

·
Administrator
3,375 Posts
I knew we had this answered on this tech forum, but I couldn't find it.
The answer was they do NOT interchange. It will not interchange.
They are two different columns, in dimensions, signal switches, mounting brackets and more. 66 was a basic column, 67 was 'safety oriented' and was thicker with collapsable column that will not fit a 66.

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
I guess that's why you have to read the disclaimer to qualify the answers you receive. Sachel Page once said 'None of us is as smart as all of us.'

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
I had originally posted this exact question a few months back. Skip was kind enough to respond. His comment was "To make the 67 column fit a 66 would border on butchery". I translated that into keep looking for a 66 column. I eventually found a 66 column, but they definitely cost more than the 67's.
Tom

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the reply's.

I've got a 66 column for sale if anyone needs one. (listed in parts for sale).

Bob

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's non tilt from my SS.

Floor shift (auto).

Needs lower bearing and should have a new turn signal switch.

$125.00+shipping

·
Registered
341 Posts
Try Parts Finders in Wisconsin, phone # 1-414-677-0477 ask for Chuck. A friend got a tilt for his 66 from them. C-ya!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.