Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of 66 upper aluminum cast hinges my 67 set is damaged from a collision and rust I read that the aluminum hinges stopped in 66 and cast steel started in 67. 3 questions
1-are 66 cast aluminum hinges interchangeable with 67
2- are rebuild kits available and are they as simple as the cast steel type to replace
3- Or should I just buy 2 67 uppers from ground up which is near me

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
I have a 66 with the aluminum uppers that I rebuilt with no issues. That being said, I don't know if they are interchangeable. I would think you could check the bolt pattern and see. If they fit, then it would be up to you if you want to use a part that may not be correct for the year, I don't know the definite answer to that. As for rebuilding, I will not do it again. I sent my hood hinges to Willie at hood hinge repair, and he will get all of my hinge rebuild work in the future. Aftermarket hinges will not last or work as well as having him rebuild the originals. Many people on here will give you the exact same answer on that subject. Good luck.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What specifically is bad with aftermarket besides bolt location fitment? If they don't last you would assume bad pins/bushing that being said if I rebuild mine they will be just as bad..
Are the cast 66 type rebuild kits any different I do see that the pin would be smaller vs 67 stamped i feels. That only the bushing needs replacing only one hong moves a bit I'm hoping to use the 66 type i have rebuilt many hinges before on 80's vehicles with no issues. I really don't care about authenticity that went out the window when I put skins on and all the other **** from ground up.
The 66 hinges do line up as far as I can see.
To me I prefer the look of the 66 cast hinge

·
Premium Member
12,730 Posts
Talk to Willie. That man knows more about hinges than probably anyone on this site.

·
Registered
617 Posts
My Elkie has one of each. It was that way when I bought it in 1979. So yes, they're interchangeable.

·
Premium Member
12,730 Posts
What specifically is bad with aftermarket besides bolt location fitment?
I never used aftermarket. I rebuilt one with quality domestic parts and purchased another rebuilt original from Willie. There are differences in the quality of parts to rebuild hinges. However if they are typical of most aftermarket parys they are poor fitting made with inferior steel and inferior components. Most times one is better off with original parts and hinges are no exception.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I just rebuilt the two bottom stamped steel hinges. The aluminum 66 uppers were perfect I did purchase the upper 67's they do look different from the originals I'm sure they would work but will return them. I am going to stick with the 66 uppers!
If they stop production of cast aluminum mid 66 and started using Stamped obviously that means that they are interchangeable ( I hope)

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
They interchange just fine, but you need to use longer bolts on the aluminum hinges than the ones that were used by the factory on the thinner steel hinges, or you won't have enough thread bite. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevy Chevelle
1,288 Posts
I just posted two 67 upper hinges for sale, Original and they really don't need a rebuild, I found this out when I bought my new ones.
The uppers are steel, I found a TWE brand from my supplier, they matched fine.
The lowers were the cast, these had the door checks on them.
The first purchase of uppers they must have gave me 66 cast hinges which fit but were wrong for the car.
The rebuild kits I purchased from both OPGI and SS396 did not work, the pins were to short.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts