Chevelles.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a MT console that was with my 67SS when I bought it. It is not installed and I would like to know how to identify the year that it is for.

Thanks
Dave in Denver

·
Premium Member
7,463 Posts
Dave:

I am not totally sure what you are asking? I think you are saying that your 67 SS came with a Manual Transmission ( MT ) console, but it is not installed. and you are wanting to know if it is a real 67 SS console vs. a 66 SS console or maybe some other year? that about right?

Well, you can click on my web page below and enlarge some of my interior shots to see the Console. The 66 and 67 SS console are the same except a TRUE 67 SS console will have seat belt clips attached on the top part of the console right before the shifter opening. I have photos of that as well if you need them.

Mike

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike,
The console I have is laying in the trunk. It does have the seat belt clips, so I assume it is correct for the 67. It has no clock in it. Was there ever a tach installed in the console, as opposed to the Knee knocker tach like yours? Or the tach on the left side over the turn indicator?
Also, would I be able to tell if the car had a factory console by pulling the carpet back and looking for the three welded brackets on the tunnel?

Thanks,
Dave in Denver

·
Premium Member
19,928 Posts
A tach was never installed in the console of a 66 or 67 - clock only. I can't say about the brackets being there on console only cars, but I would guess that to be true as they'd be a bump on non-console cars. Depending on where your car was assembled, Atlanta & KC cars have trim options on the trim tag - look for the letter "G" (along with some other letters) under the interior trim code. Baltimore & Fremont cars did not list trim options on the tag itself.

See this page and this page for examples of various assembly plant trim tags. On Baltimore and Fremont cars, you can also check the trim tag for the interior color/seat code. If it had buckets, there's a good chance it had a console. While not a given, at least a bench seat code would tell you for sure it did not have a console. You can check here for 1967 interior color/seat type codes.

·
Premium Member
7,463 Posts
Oh Freddy...why ya got ask the hard questions :D

In short...NO, it is not true. It would depend IMHO, on when your car was built. As with many other change over to new model year things, many new cars of all years, received the previous year STUFF....so, I don't think it is out of the question that an early 67 may have received a 66 style console, and for that matter, possibly even mid year produced car...I like to try and keep an open mind about such things.

Mike

PS..if you car didn't have a console, the clock could have been in the dash or floor mounted if a Bench Seat car in 67..but No, as was said... no tac in console ever...67 ONLY got tach ( Blinker Tach ) on the driver side of dash. Your trim tag will tell you straight out if you had buckets or bench, a bucket seat 67 without console is a RARE bird..a friend of mine has such a car in 66 model.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 67 is a Baltimore car and only has the black interior color listed on the trim tag. I am looking for a build sheet, but am thinking it was probably a bench seat 4 speed. I am trying to get ready to go to Super Chevy /Dallas and won't be able to do more research until I return.

Dave in Denver

·
Premium Member
8,070 Posts
Good point about the clock vs. the block-off; console cars (except Canadian '66 Beaumonts, LOL) used a console-mounted clock.

When my Oshawa-built '67 was documented by GM back in the eighties, they sent me a list that had 50 consecutive cars described in terms of model #, interior & engine codes, plus RPO codes. There were 10 cars on the list with buckets; one of them had no console (column shift Powerglide) which suggests that the Malibu SS was over & done; they were just Malibus. As of now GM hasn't been able to confirm with me the cutoff date, although the emergence of the 1st 138-series SS396 would be a sign. In the town next to me there is a 1-owner '67 Malibu SS that was built mid-November '66 (serial # in the mid 3000's).

My Malibu was the 6083rd off the Oshawa line in mid December. The firewall plates did not conform 100% to the way the U.S cars were, plus around that time the weird situation with ordering buckets meant your 135 or 136-series Malibus were built as Malibu SS cars (that's a chapter unto itself, really!). The 9271st Chevelle off the line in Oshawa was a 138-series car, an SS396. That car was an oddball for sure if you check out the registry on this site (Royal Plum or Plum Mist SS396 convertible with gold(!) vinyl bench, h.d. 3-speed floor shift, 3.73 Posi, manual steering & power brakes)

Er, what was the question again? ;)

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My trim tag is a 761 with no other notations. Does that specify black vinyl bench?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tough question Mike,

I guess I better decide if I am going to make the SS "correct". What is your opinion? It has a pretty plain jane interior.

·
Premium Member
7,463 Posts
Dave:

Installing the Console will not make your car any more an SS than putting bumper guards on it...ie...Console was an option, like Bucket seats, 4 speed, bumper guards and many other things...and I think you probably know that, but when I see you write that you have to decide if you want to make your SS "Correct"...it cast some doubt to me as to whether you are aware that console was not SS specific..

Now, as to my opinion...well not sure what that is worth...but..if you have a 4 speed console that is correct for a 67 SS...I would definately NOT SELL it., no matter what you decide to do Seat/Console wise...they are getting scarce and are pricey when you do find one...so hold on to it for now.

If you gut is pretty Plain Jane...I am a purist at heart, so seeing a Bench Seat 67 SS Rag top really catches my eye., from that Purist standpoint. BUT...given the choice, I think most people, myself included would prefer Bucket Seats and a console for that MUSCLE look and Feel. You did not say what SEAT/s are in the car NOW...if it has a bench...you might be better off for now to leave it, while you search out the buckets....Have I confused enough :D

Mike

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think it all comes down to what you want in your car Dave.

Me, I am putting in what I want in my 66 SS. For example, I am pretty sure mine only had the standard steering wheel (I have no documentation on the car), but eventually I am going to have an original simulated wood wheel. Does not ruin the genuiness of my car in my oppinion as long as it is "correct."

But like Mike said, hold on to those tough to find parts like consoles unless you just can't stand them. You can always change your mind later and go buckets and console and it is easier on you if you have the parts to do it.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Mike and Jeff for your input. Although I am new to this forum, I do understand the choices ahead of me. Since the block in my car is not correct, I will never have an honestly correct car to you guys who know. My front seats are not correct either, so I also have an option there. Per our discussion, the choices are just complicated a bit by me having a 67 console for a 4 speed car.
I really haven't had time to look at a lot of Chevelles and decide what my preferences are. I do know from the experiences I have shared on the Chevy Talk forum, that the worst thing that one can do, is start into a project without a well formulated plan. I am hoping to see several cars this weekend at Super Chevy/Dallas. If any of you are planning to go, please look me up, and let me see your cars. I'll be with my green and white 57 hardtop(Colorado plates) so I'd like to meet you.
Dave in Denver

·
Registered
90 Posts
How rare are the bench seat/column shift cars? Mine was built in K.C. and remains here. It was Marina Blue w/ blue on blue interior, 327, buckets, column shift, and A.C..

My question is, as it is now a bright yellow, black interior, buckets, B&M floor shifter, 454, and no A.C. what would the price difference be if it were all "original"? Would it be worth the expense of changing it?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts