Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The grille, according to assembly manual, uses ”tubular rivets”. The best way to install a new or refurbished grill is to remove and replace. The tie bar and filler panel should be removed. Old rivets drilled. The posts I’ve read says to use a very expensive Rivet tool. The cheapest I found was $110. These tools are used in the aerospace industry. You can do it the old fashion way using a regular hammer or ball peen hammer; however it is not as effective to fastening the grille.

Given the fact there is not too much space, it is difficult to use a hammer. Alas, I thought about my days doing leather work. I recalled tools I used for double riveting. I found out Tandy Leather Co. has a cheap but effective “Tubular Rivet Tool” for only 10 bucks. it creates the perfect star pattern on the bottom. To protect the top of the rivet, lay it on a felt or leather scrap.
the tool has a four inch handle to keep the hammer from hitting the inside of the grill. The part no is 8099-00. They also sell tubular rivets. Hope I made your life easier guys

·
Premium Member
5,186 Posts
My 66 already had small screws in it. I think Ground Up and some others sell some small bolt kits with round heads that look like the rivets. The originals were probably assembled before being installed on the car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pete.. looking at the photos in your link, I don’t believe that those rivets are the original fasteners on the grille. The originals, I believe, had rounded heads like the tubular rivets have. Although rivet screws are easier, I feel if you have to remove grille, Car was in an accident. Then, you’d have to replace bumper and filler panel and maybe tie bar. I’d rather do it the manufacturers way. Peening the rivet, Like original.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts