Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took it apart to clean it, you guessed it, balls flying everywhere. I found 22 balls, and reassembled. I was wondering if anyone can confirm that it takes 23 balls, as it looks like I'm missing one.

Anyone know where I can get a new bearing assy?

Also, when I took the column apart a couple of years ago, I took off a real goofy looking clamp, I did not know what it was for until today. I guess the spring that goes behind the steering wheel is supposed to allow this clamp to put pressure on the lower bearing to keep it tight. The clamp that was on there just looked like it did not belong. I was wondering if someone could pop the hood of their 66, and look at where the steering column comes out of the firewall, and describe this clamp to me, or get a digital picture of it. (It clamps right onto the steering shaft itself, the 3/4" or so diameter rod) I lost the clamp I took off, so if it's correct, anyone know where I can get one?

·
Registered
149 Posts
National Parts Depot has the bearing listed in their catalog - part #6521. I called last year to get one & they didn't have it. Not sure if they do now. That clamp keeps the lower bearing from sliding out of the plastic retainer. I have not seen one in any of the resto catalogs. Try www.tcnchevelle.com or www.tru-connections.com They both deal in new & used parts. You will probably have to get that clamp from a parts car.

Mike Sibbitt
66 396 SS

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.