Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 66 396. need to know if anyone has a combo to build off of. going to be for street car with turbo 350 trans and 9 inch with 373. so far i know the block will have to be bored .30 over.i have a set of open chamber 71 heads. i only have one factory head. just looking for advice

· In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
25,548 Posts
as always, be real careful about the rear cam bearing and rear cam journal in that engine. there's differences that can ruin an engine and most machine shops don't have anybody left that knows this stuff. it's sort of an almost one year only deal, occasionally somebody gets burnt with no oil to the top end. A real bummer since the engine has to be torn down to fix it.

· Registered
458 Posts
For a street car with your gearing I would look at a good dual plane like a performer rpm, 1-3/4inch headers, 9.5-10:1 compression and a 230ish/240ish at .050 cam. If you have the budget a hyd roller would be a good upgrade. Do some basic work to the heads ie bowl work and bigger valves. I would pick a converter with around a 3000 stall and that should get you into the low to mid 12s.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.