Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add the 396 Turbo Jet flags emblems to the front fenders of my '66 Malibu. I bought a factory assembly manual but still can't figure out where they go. I don't know where the measurements listed in the manual are taken from. Are they from the bottom edge of the fender? The front? The wheel opening? Or???? Can anyone help clarify?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On page 348 it shows drilling (4) 15/64 diameter holes. The two top holes are 2.80 inches apart from left to right, the two bottom holes are 3.36 inches apart from left to right. The distance between the top holes and the bottom holes is 1.22. What I don't understand is where on the fender do the four holes go? I don't see a point of reference that you start from. There are a few numbers on the page I don't understand; 1.08, .82, -30.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I'm in the situation, the measurments in the F.a.M dont give anything but the distance between the holes which if you have an emblem its kind of useless. It might be in the fisher manual but I dont have one to check. If you get an answer let me know.

·
Premium Member
7,454 Posts
GM didn't put this info inthe AIM b/c even back then, they didn't want anyone cloning the SS :D

Best bet is find a REAL SS nearby, somebody has to have one.. and get the measures you need in person... I never supply this info. for personal reasons.. but that is what I would do if needed the info. In person measurements!!

MC

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I found the measurements for a full size 65 in the assembly manual but the measurements are hard to understand. They use strange reference points for the measurements. I had a guy help me out on this by holding a tape measure to the fender emblem and hitting the top of the fender and the front as reference points, he then e-mailed me the picture. I hope I don't go to hell for this. :beers:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ohhh....now I see why no one was responding with the measurements I was looking for. It's an "anti-clone" thing. I can appreciate that. Sorry if my question was offensive to any of the SS purists out there. I have no intentions of trying to pass the car off to any one as a real SS. I just love the 396 Turbo Jet fender flags and the Super Sport quarter panel emblems. I think they are beautiful! My car is a gorgeous car and was a deal I could afford. Unfortunately, it isn't an SS - it is a Malibu. I could not afford a real SS in the condition of my Malibu.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Some of the guys here are afraid if you stick an SS emblem on your 136 car that there 138s are going to loose there value, You wouldnt think it would be a big concern with the 66 seen you can identify a 66 SS by its vin. you would think the thread was HOW DO I CORRECTLY RESTAMP MY ENGINE BLOCK the way there acting.
I suggest selling your 66 and go buy 69 chevelle, The 69 guys will bend over backwards for you and are happy to help a fellow car guy.

·
Registered
859 Posts
That statment wasnt to start anything!, But take my 66 ss for instance. The car was a total basket case when I bought it with no front clip, 7-8 years ago I bought a set of nos frt fenders at the Midland car show which dont have the holes in it for the flags from the factory of course. So guys like me turn to sites like this one for the info to do it correct, Thats what this site is for right?

·
Registered
295 Posts
The AIM manual uses a base horizontal reference line that is actually lower than the fender. All vertical measurements for fender alignment and molding are taken from that base line.

In the diagram you have for drilling the emblem holes, there is a horizontal line marked "20". That line is 20 inches up from the horizontal base line.

The other reference line you see on your diagram is "-30". That line is 30 inches forward of the base vertical base line.

It would be very difficult to establish these reference lines without the manual. If you have it look on page UPC 11-13 B-9. That show the horizontal and vertical base lines and how the fender overlays those base lines.

·
Premium Member
7,454 Posts
Some of the guys here are afraid if you stick an SS emblem on your 136 car that there 138s are going to loose there value, You wouldnt think it would be a big concern with the 66 seen you can identify a 66 SS by its vin. you would think the thread was HOW DO I CORRECTLY RESTAMP MY ENGINE BLOCK the way there acting.
I suggest selling your 66 and go buy 69 chevelle, The 69 guys will bend over backwards for you and are happy to help a fellow car guy.
Jim

What guys would that be??? who are THEY? and How exactly are THEY Acting??

If that statement is or has anything to do with my response, you need to check yourself! In case you lost a sense of humor, my initial reply was tongue and cheek.

There are many many 66 SS owners on this site that could have chimed in and helped this fella, there is nothing in any post reply here to warrant the statement you made??

I said, I don't supply this info. b/c of personal reasons, hence the word "PERSONAL" which means my own private reasons, but if the interpretation from you is that I am afraid he may be cloning a SS.. you are wayyyyyy off base and to compare that to a guy asking questions about restamping is just plain silly. My car is garaged, covered and zipped and doesn't see the light of day until late spring.. so it is virtually impossible to get measurements or pictures of anything. I also don't like to give measurements on emblem placement ever as I think it is a hard thing to do and get right, and I don't want the responsibility of telling someone where to place it.. so I give the advice that is COMMON SENSE.. go visit someone with a real SS and get your own measurements...it was not said in anger. The fact that none of our 66 SS owners chimed in may have been that they also just don't feel like trying to get a measurement or maybe there cars are also covered for the winter, or maybe like the hundreds of other posts that get unanswered, it was just not seen and fell to the bottom....I don't know.. but I think you owe the guys here an apology for the statement you made, it is unfounded. I have personally helped more 66 and 67 SS owneres here than I care to remind myself of.. so it has nothing to do with 66 owners not being helpful or what this site is about., or God forbid fear of a Clone.. the Day I have to worry that some 66 Clone makes my car's value change is the day I will Light it on fire.

Mike Crown

·
Registered
859 Posts
Mike, My post had nothing to do with you or any other 66 owners, I have two 66s myself and a couple 69s.
My statement that I made was just a [email protected]#s statement nothing else. And for cloning its more the guys like myself with the 69-72 that dont like cloning in the 69-72 era just because it is so hard to tell the differences from a malibu to an ss.

Sorry if I offended you or any other T.C members. :eek:

·
Registered
859 Posts
No, your reply was right to the point not to strong. I will start using the smilies more often. I realize its hard telling whos being serious/smarta#$ without actual knowing them. :beers:

·
Premium Member
17,400 Posts
Okay...

Heres what you do... Assuming you have V8 fenders (with the small block flag)...

Look through the Assembly manual for the "Small Block cross-flags" measurement diagram, AND compare those "reference" measurements to the "396 cross-flags" diagram... Make your own diagram if needed and create your own arbitrary reference lines...

I think you will find that the emblems are centered about the same, SB or BB (seen many a fender with 396 flags that covered the old SB flag holes, no welding/filling required)...

If you have NO emblems (194 6 cylinder?), then good luck...

·
Registered
295 Posts
vlevick... sorry you ran into a bit of a fire storm.... this site has help me so much over the years don't let 1 bad experience stop you from asking questions. You will find everyone here will help, even the guys that went off on a tangent.... that is not their normal style.

I know you have new fenders with no existing holes.

I read through my manual 2 or 3 times and getting a reference line is tricky.

Send me an email and I will respond with a scan of the AIM pages that should help. I think with a little work you could get close... if you want it exact it should be possible but with a lot of work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.