Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the oil pan clear OK? Will regular big-block headers work? Anything else I should know about? What size exhaust whould I use? Will an edelbrock performer RPM manifold clear the non-CI hood? Is this as straight-forward as I think or am I looking for trouble?

Also, if there's anyone in the MA or Pittsburgh area who's willing to help me out with this swap, I'll mow your lawn, clean your house, walk your dog, etc, etc... if you could just help me out with garage space and a cherry picker...

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
It will fit no problem, same external dimensions as any mkIV big block..just remember with the 66 block if you ever change cams you will have to have the rear cam journal machined with a groove for proper oil pressure...not needed from 67 on.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a little new to heavy-duty motor work. what exactly is the rear cam journal? I'm going to a machine shop anyways to get hardened valve seats put in, how much would new valve seats and machining the cam journal run? I'm on a VERY tight budget

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Go out and buy a copy of How to Rebuild Big-Block Chevy Engines by Tom Wilson. This will help you get your feet wet.

Rick
67ssbb
TC #326
But all it needs is a harmonic balancer.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
you should get the headers for your model car,the edelbrock intake ought to clear easily,,I am running a 454 with the RPM intake and a summit 14 inch low profile air cleaner and it fits fine in my 72 malibu, I am running Hooker comp headers into 2 1/2 inch aluminized exhaust pipe..the Hooker headers do hang pretty low though(about 3 inches below the front cross member),its about as straight forward a swap as there is...you shouldnt have any troubles...I pulled out the 350 2bbl and the 454 dropped right in...i did have to change oil pans though...as mine had a truck pan on it

------------------
Bob West
Monett,Mo.
72 Chevelle 461 ci.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Save your money on the hardened valve seats unless you intend to drive the car VERY hard. Do a search on this topic as there has been some discussion on this item in the past. See posts in the Engine and Driveline section dated 2/14/99 "Hardened Seats" and 5/24/99 "Leaded Gas".

Not everyone agrees on the nead to install hardened valve seats. I have read lots of articles on this topic and I am friends with the guy who runs a local machine shop. They do lots of engine work including building NASCAR and ARCA series engines. He feels the same as I do that hardened seats are not necessary in many applications. Unless you are running the car extremely hard, with an agressive valve train setup, value recession into the heads will not be severe.

The rear cam journal is the last(rear most) cam bearing surface that for '66 396's had a groove machined into it to aid oil pressure. The rear cam bearing has a complementary grove to match the cam journal. Ed

------------------
'66 Chevelle SS396/375
'71 Karmann Ghia Convt.
'55 Chevy Convt.
'53 Chevy COE

[This message has been edited by ED1966SS (edited 12-31-1999).]

[This message has been edited by ED1966SS (edited 12-31-1999).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.