Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a 66 tomorrow, currently has 283 with powerglide, column shift.
Wondering how difficult of a project to install a 396 and 4 speed in?
Are parts for this swap readily available? Does the 396 bolt right in?
Is there a pedal kit to add clutch?
I've heard there is a hydraulic clutch system available?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
The typical catalog places have most of these conversion parts:

National Parts Depot
Original Parts Group
Ground Up SS396

Their paper catalogs lay it out to give you your answers. Pictures there are worth having the catalogs.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
9,433 Posts
I put a great running 454 where there once was a 307...then wanted more so now a 489 sits were the 454 once was LOL, nothing wrong with a 396 but if you're going to the trouble why not drop more cubes in between the fenders? put 396 decals on it

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put a great running 454 where there once was a 307...then wanted more so now a 489 sits were the 454 once was LOL, nothing wrong with a 396 but if you're going to the trouble why not drop more cubes in between the fenders? put 396 decals on it
I dont need a screamer, just a big block muscle motor.....always thought 454's were slugs? But that shows how much I know about BBC!

·
Premium Member
28,826 Posts
I dont need a screamer, just a big block muscle motor.....always thought 454's were slugs? But that shows how much I know about BBC!
Just the opposite, 454 even with 8.9:1 compression can make some impressive HP/TQ and be a blast on the street. On 87 octane.
..and run low, low 12's at the drag strip if you choose to.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think a 396, or 454 would help resale value in this car? I have others telling me since it's not a true SS, why not throw a 383 stroker in? Not sure if value is affected with that?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Unless you already have the 396 I'd opt for more cubes 427 or 454. I put a 454(low compression 87 short block did cam, heads, and intake) in place of the 194 inline 6 in my 65. Never built a car before but I got it done over a summer. All the parts are there since every chevelle came with a big block from 65-72. There's nothing like that big block torque, you can feel it in your nuts :LOL: I went with a turbo 400 I'm sure there's a bit more involved when it comes to a 4 speed but definitely doable. Really it comes down to how much power you want and what you're gonna do with the car

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
There was a 327 SBC in my 67 when I bought it
Then Swapped in a 454 BBC
Like the Power of the BBC but Gas Mileage is not great as I like to Drive my car on the Streets/Hwys
and down the 1/4 Mile Track see Sig #s
That being said I wish I had just Rebuilt the 327 with more HP and could of had just as much fun

Dependent on the use/purpose of the car
there are a lot of things to change over from a SBC to a BBC
1. The Rad Spacer has to come out and a New better Rad
and make sure there is enough room/space for a Mech Fan/Clutch & Shroud or Elect Fans/Shroud
2. New Motor Mounts & Frame Mounts
this is where I had to Drill new Holes in the xcross member to place the BBC further back towards the Firewall
3. Front Disc Brakes and the change to Disc/Drum Brakes Conversion Parts
4. Power Steering needed likely so new Brackets & Box
5. Big Hole in Interior Floor needed for Manual 4 Speed Shifter
6. New Peddle Assembly for Clutch/Brake and Z Bar in Engine Bay at Firewall/Frame for Linkage to the Clutch
6. Suspension changes for Front and Rear as the BBC weighs more than the SBC
and you will want Stronger Rear Control Arms
7. New Bigger Driveshaft new one needed along with new bigger 1350 U-Joints
8. RearEnd from a 10 Bolt Peg Leg to a 12 Bolt Posi for the more HP & Torque of the BBC than the SBC
9. Make sure the BBC Engine is not a Tall Deck one and you use a Short Water Pump on it

Some Pics of my SBC before
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Auto part
Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Getting her ready for the BBC
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Metal Auto part
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Rim Automotive wheel system

Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Auto part Automotive exterior
Bumper Computer hardware Electrical wiring Electronic engineering Cable

Reason for Drilling new Holes for moving the Frame Mounts/Brackets & Engine towards the Firewall
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Automotive air manifold
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Auto part Automotive super charger part

Vehicle Hood Car Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper

Reactions: Aml383

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There was a 327 SBC in my 67 when I bought it
Then Swapped in a 454 BBC
Like the Power of the BBC but Gas Mileage is not great as I like to Drive my car on the Streets/Hwys
and down the 1/4 Mile Track see Sig #s
That being said I wish I had just Rebuilt the 327 with more HP and could of had just as much fun

Dependent on the use/purpose of the car
there are a lot of things to change over from a SBC to a BBC
1. The Rad Spacer has to come out and a New better Rad
and make sure there is enough room/space for a Mech Fan/Clutch & Shroud or Elect Fans/Shroud
2. New Motor Mounts & Frame Mounts
this is where I had to Drill new Holes in the xcross member to place the BBC further back towards the Firewall
3. Front Disc Brakes and the change to Disc/Drum Brakes Conversion Parts
4. Power Steering needed likely so new Brackets & Box
5. Big Hole in Interior Floor needed for Manual 4 Speed Shifter
6. New Peddle Assembly for Clutch/Brake and Z Bar in Engine Bay at Firewall/Frame for Linkage to the Clutch
6. Suspension changes for Front and Rear as the BBC weighs more than the SBC
and you will want Stronger Rear Control Arms
7. New Bigger Driveshaft new one needed along with new bigger 1350 U-Joints
8. RearEnd from a 10 Bolt Peg Leg to a 12 Bolt Posi for the more HP & Torque of the BBC than the SBC
9. Make sure the BBC Engine is not a Tall Deck one and you use a Short Water Pump on it

Some Pics of my SBC before
View attachment 725007 View attachment 725008

Getting her ready for the BBC
View attachment 725009 View attachment 725010
View attachment 725011 View attachment 725012

Reason for Drilling new Holes for moving the Frame Mounts/Brackets & Engine towards the Firewall
View attachment 725015 View attachment 725016
View attachment 725017 View attachment 725018
Is there a dimension, or kit, or knowledge for:
"Big Hole in Interior Floor needed for Manual 4 Speed Shifter"
In other words, if currently automatic with floor shifter and console, will hole for 4 speed shifter be where the auto shifter is now?

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
For a street motor I would look for the 454 with 9.1 or lower compression. It will start easier and really be a fun car to drive. I removed the vacuum advance on my 1978 454, I run the initial at 22 and the mechanical 14 all in by 2400.. Never a ping or any kind of noise.. Starts right up in 100 degree days. The 454 prefers 87 octane, it has such a strong feel to it with the 87.
You could also keep the Glide. I would want a rear end ratio around 2.73 to 3.08.. With a TH-400 this set up would be so much fun! You'll be like me, taking the long way home..

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For a street motor I would look for the 454 with 9.1 or lower compression. It will start easier and really be a fun car to drive. I removed the vacuum advance on my 1978 454, I run the initial at 22 and the mechanical 14 all in by 2400.. Never a ping or any kind of noise.. Starts right up in 100 degree days. The 454 prefers 87 octane, it has such a strong feel to it with the 87.
You could also keep the Glide. I would want a rear end ratio around 2.73 to 3.08.. With a TH-400 this set up would be so much fun! You'll be like me, taking the long way home..
Thanks....its starting to look like a lot more work converting to a big block.....not convinced yet. 383 Stroker looking at lot less headaches?

·
Registered
333 Posts
The link below is simply an example of what is a pretty much a 'plain vanilla' 383 build:

Look at the torque; approx 460 lb-ft @ around 3800 rpm. Basically 400 lb-ft thru out the rpm range. And 380 hp.

That's more than any GM 396 from the 60's.

I'm not recommending buying that engine (or any other engine) I'm simply pointing out some of the potential available with a sbc engine. I am recommending building for low end toque rather than high rpm hp.

Sure BB can do better. Ask yourself what you require and what you can afford.

Just info.

Pete

·
Registered
72 Posts
Is there a dimension, or kit, or knowledge for:
"Big Hole in Interior Floor needed for Manual 4 Speed Shifter"
In other words, if currently automatic with floor shifter and console, will hole for 4 speed shifter be where the auto shifter is now?

No you cannot use the auto console for a 4speed. the hole will be to the left several inches you will need a 4 speed console. and add a shifter hump to the left side of the trans tunnel. easily purchased items

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The link below is simply an example of what is a pretty much a 'plain vanilla' 383 build:

Look at the torque; approx 460 lb-ft @ around 3800 rpm. Basically 400 lb-ft thru out the rpm range. And 380 hp.

That's more than any GM 396 from the 60's.

I'm not recommending buying that engine (or any other engine) I'm simply pointing out some of the potential available with a sbc engine. I am recommending building for low end toque rather than high rpm hp.

Sure BB can do better. Ask yourself what you require and what you can afford.

Just info.

Pete
Thanks for great info Pete....I'm def not into racing, or tracking, Eric. Just want nice cruiser

·
Registered
245 Posts
why not a 396? but a different kind?

I have investigating the best bang/buck-ratio SBC topic quite some time now and this is the best option i could find.
They also have a 400 with a tad more hp but less torque (slightly larger cam, more bore, less stroke).
But the 396 has def. more torque (~10%) all the way up to 5000+ rpm and more vacuum (12" @950rpm) for power brakes, so the better street engine.

All new, all forged, 5200$, plug&play and can reuse your existing periphery..
With intake/carb/ignition its 5900$

Thats some serious stock LS6-L72-L78 level performance with both ~500 LbFt/Hp

PS: If someone finds a better deal, please let me know, i am always interested.

https://blueprintengines.com/produc...-gm-style-longblock-aluminum-heads-roller-cam
Automotive parking light Product Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle

1 - 20 of 99 Posts