Chevelles.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a reproduction factory tach for a '65 chevelle and when connecting it up I see there are three post,a positive , a negative and a post labeled "S" I connected the red wire to the positive and the black wire to the negative but I have no idea what the S post is for.....can you guys help me out here? thanks, Bryan

·
Registered
1,609 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
how is that repro tach? where did you purchase it? and my third and final question: Do you have to remove the instrument cluster to install it?

------------------
65 Danube Blue 4 door wagon, 350/330hp crate with 700R4, Factory air, Factory am/fm stereo.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tach is very nice, it's an all metal construction and looks exactly like the real deal. All that is required is to remove the clock out of the instrument cluster and this can be done without taking the dash insert out, just unscreww two small screws and pull it out from behind. I purchased it from Original parts group, but I've seen it offered from many of the restoration companys.

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Since Fig nor John said anything about where to hook up the S wire, I will, it goes to the - side of the coil. Hope this helps.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction.
Maryland Chevelle Club

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Leo thanks so much, I had hooked the neg side of the coil to the post labeled as neg.
Your help is greatly apreciated, thanks again, Bryan

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bryanz1:
Leo thanks so much, I had hooked the neg side of the coil to the post labeled as neg.
Your help is greatly apreciated, thanks again, Bryan
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I believe Leo said to hook up the negative side of the coil to the S terminal on the tach. The tach negative goes to ground.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
John thanks for making that more clear. what I meant to say was that I had originally attached the neg post on the back of the tach to the neg side of the coil, but since I read Leo's reply I changed it to the S post. You guys are a great help I sure am appreciating your advice and assistance with my project. Bryan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts