Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
Bought a used bezel for my SS that had a stock tach.
I also have the gauges not the idiot lights.

I now have an HEI system, single wire alt. etc.. and was wondering if it will work with the stock tach?

From reading a previous post, it seems that not all stock tachs will work with HEI.
But, I didn't quite follow the info posted.

If it will work, any info on how to hook it up, or what to avoid, is appreciated.

Thanks,
jack

·
Super Moderator
15,882 Posts
I'll have to look up the specifics when I get home, but the tach has two wires. One goes to a hot lead at the fuse panel and one goes to the coil. The HEI has a "tach" plug in the side of cap. All you need to do is wire the "tach" plug on the HEI to the tachometer just as you would have normally wired it to the "-" side of the coil on a regular distributor set up.

Whoops! I found the info needed in a previous post of mine:

The "tach" wire will connect to the terminal on the tach that is to the passenger side (or more to the top of the tach) of the car (with the tach installed in the car) and the "hot" wire will go on the terminal to the driver's side of the unit.
At the other end, the "tach" wire connects to the tach fitting on your HEI and the "hot" wire connects to the fuse block in the "brake" connector.

------------------
NCOA member #220 ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998 YesterYears Chevys #52949
American Muscle Car Association #142
Rich's 1965 Malibu SS Restoration Project Progress Page

[This message has been edited by Rich-L79 (edited 05-09-2002).]

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rich,
Thanks for the reply. but, I blew it.
My system is a Mallory Unilite.
The car is up at my buddys getting repaired and the ignition system is new.
Thanks though..
jack

1 - 5 of 5 Posts