Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently converted my 65 Malibu SS 250 HP Powerglide to the 350 HP L-79 option. After bolting it all together and starting it up I can only get it to idle down to about 1000 rpms before I run out of adjustment. I had never used the carb before. I purchased it used and had it rebuilt and replated at Jones carb in Huntington Beach CA. Could it be a intake maniford gasket leak. I used the new kind that do not require gasket sealer.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had the same problem on my truck. I just tweeked the timing back a little then turned the idle up to where it needed to be. You can check for a manifold leak by spraying the sealing area with some sort WD 4O. If the RPM changes then you know you have another problem. Good Luck, Rick...

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have found that spraying Berryman's carb cleaner around the carb and also around where the intake meets the head. The idle will increase noticeably if you have a leak. It sounds like a leak of some sort to me. I am assumning that you have already checked all the vaccuum hoses etc. I hope this helps. By the way, the L-79 is an excellent choice! Let me know how it all turns out please.

Jerry

[This message has been edited by Chevguy68 (edited 02-11-99).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.