Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the fact. chrome is kind of faded on my 65-has anyone restored theirs, using some kind of silver that looks decent-i know they make aftermarket clusters, but i would just as soon use mine-i have seen the Eastwood adds for that like chrome, with a black base
the paint store has a bottle of this silver stuff, but is a large expensive bottle, maybe same thing as Eastwoods stuff-i prob wouldnt use 5% of it, lol

·
Premium Member
Central Iowa
2,156 Posts
The bezels/clusters can make or brake an interiors look. I have yet to see a painted one that brings out the best of the 65 interior. I have yet to hear anything real bad about the reproductions, hear they have an all chrome look. A person could do the black paint work to make them look stock.

·
Gold Founding Member
4,193 Posts
Just Dashes in Van Nuys, California replated plastic dash bezels.

http://www.justdashes.com/

Just Dashes
5941 Lemona Avenue
Van Nuys CA 91411
(818) 780-9005
(800) 247-3274

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
i know a guy that has a Spray On Chrome setup.i'm going to let him spray an old non a/c dash to see how it comes out.

also Chrome Pros Plating in Corpus Christi,Tx can do plastic.

·
Banned
4,650 Posts
Is it worth it to have the originals rechromed or are the repros good substitutes? I have one used and I'm sick if saving it.

·
Premium Member
Central Iowa
2,156 Posts
Is it worth it to have the originals rechromed or are the repros good substitutes? I have one used and I'm sick if saving it.
I had an original rechromed and detailed in black 10yrs ago and it was somewhere close to the mid $400 range with shipping maybe more?, scared to go back and look at the receipt!... that was before the reproductions came out so I did not have a choice.
I have yet to see in person a reproduction bezel installed... but from reading and asking here in the past I have not heard anything bad about them not fitting and nothing bad about the chrome finish besides the repro does not have the black detailing that the originals have, I think they come all chrome...a guy would have to do the black himself...the black detailing should not be that difficult.

I have seen the repros for sale in the $125 range. I think they were in the $200 range when they first came out several yrs ago.

Maybe someone that has bought and installed a repro will chime in and let us know the complete scoop on them.:yes:

I have a couple good used also but will likely never use them either...I would try a repro if I needed one again.
I would guess it would be in the $500 range to have an original rechromed nowadays if not more.
I have seen that used originals dont go for crap on e-bay and seen some used ones dont even sell!

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my cars modified, (300 sedan) but wanted to keep the int somewhat stock-i installed 3 gauges where the AC vent would norm be, and an Autometer tach where the clock would be, but the rest of the fauges are there, speedometer, idiot lights

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
I went with a repop dash bezel. Very close to my original. The holes are blacked out and the lettering is black. The instrument cluster fits perfect. The first one I received had a minor flaw, and I returned that unit for an exchange. Another potential problem is the AC center vent cutout.. a bit small and need to be clearanced. Mine didn't need that work.

·
Premium Member
Central Iowa
2,156 Posts
I went with a repop dash bezel. Very close to my original. The holes are blacked out and the lettering is black. The instrument cluster fits perfect. The first one I received had a minor flaw, and I returned that unit for an exchange. Another potential problem is the AC center vent cutout.. a bit small and need to be clearanced. Mine didn't need that work.
So the repops come detailed in black also? I did not know that.
So your pretty much saying it is not worth the trouble to send out an original to be replated?
What price did you pay? and who did you order/get it from?
Sounds like good info your giving folks here...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Had the same experience as Mike. Had to send one back because of a flaw and also had to file the A/C opening for more clearance. Other wise it fits well and looks nice.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
maybe i'll order one and see how it looks, only problem is i have a radio delete which is also faded-funny, this car was a zero optioned car

·
Premium Member
Central Iowa
2,156 Posts
Had the same experience as Mike. Had to send one back because of a flaw and also had to file the A/C opening for more clearance. Other wise it fits well and looks nice.

Thanks for posting the picture...looks good and looks to fit well.
KMD, your dash looks great...nice work!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
215 Posts
maybe i'll order one and see how it looks, only problem is i have a radio delete which is also faded-funny, this car was a zero optioned car
If the radio delete cover is plastic chrome you can have that part vacuum metalized again. I took my center A/C vent apart so I could have the plastic housing/bezel redone. I cannot remember off the top of my head the company I had do it but they fixed a chip in the plastic and vacuum metalized it for around $50.00

1 - 14 of 14 Posts