Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have new vertical glass channel rubber (fuzzie inside) for the front ventilator window channel. Who has installed this product and can give me some tips? It looks like I just pry the old suff out, except for the one tiny screw at the top.
How is the new rubber held in place? Do I use weatherstrip adhesive, or does it just pressure fit?

Another front door glass question. The glass is squezed between two pieces of metal. My chassis service manual refers to the metal as lower sash channel supports. To prevent metal to glass contact there is a rubber gasket that fits between the glass and the sash channel support. But my rubber on driver door is torn at the top.
Q. Does somebody make that rubber gasket that lays against the bottom of the window? Where could I buy it?

· Super Moderator
14,047 Posts
The channel rubber just presses into place. The outer rim has a little flange of rubber that catches in a lip inside the metal channel. The screw at the top is the only fastner you need. Be sure to work the rubber channel in firmly enough to engage it fully in the lips of the metal channel.

The rubber on the sash channel isn't reproduced but I bet a auto glass shop could sell you some rubber sheet that would do the trick. This won't provide the rubber lip at the top as on the original (which seals against the weatherstripping at the top opening in the door) but if your originals are ruined there's not much you can do. If the original rubber is good but just torn, you might want to try gluing it back into one piece and to the glass with some contact cement. When you go to tighten down the small bolts that hold the glass to the metal chassis DO NOT TORQUE THEM TOO TIGHT! It is real easy to shatter the glass if you over tighten them! Just tighten the nuts finger tight and then just a HAIR more with a wrench.

· Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rich. I'll change out my vent glass channel strip as you describe.
Concerning my driver door glass sash channel rubber, it is torn at the top where the glass seals against the door rubber weatherstrip. Actually half is missing, someone must have torn it before me and removed the torn piece.
Maybe I will post a wanted ad in case someone has 2dr ht door glass with a good rubber gasket with lip, and say the glass is broken or in poor shape. All I need would be that rubber gasket.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.