Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Behind the drivers seat in my 65 el camino there is a fairly large storage compartment about 18"x23"x8" with a rubber boot insert going under the box. I've seen them on later models el caminos but i was told at a recent local car show that the 65 did not have one.If it was done after market who ever did sure was good.Anyone know anything about this??

------------------
Ray{Surrey BC}
65SS chevelle
65 2dr chevelle
65 el camino
team #214 gold

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does'nt anybody know about this storage compartment???

------------------
Ray{Surrey BC}
65SS chevelle
65 2dr chevelle
65 el camino
team #214 gold

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
It's the Smuggler's Compartment, I've seen one in a 70 SS Elco, but I don't know if they came on a 65, the guy at the show might not have known for sure, I'd say it's probably factory or done by a reallly good bodyman.

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd-sold to Original owner!
In process of finding a 65
Team Chevelle Member #71

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, i think your right cause i don't ever remember seeing one in an older el camino but my son has a 80 and it has one.Oh well i think its kind of neat so i'm going to put some sort of opening door on it

------------------
Ray{Surrey BC}
65SS chevelle
65 2dr chevelle
65 el camino
team #214 gold

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
All El Caminos have the compartment (not sure about '59 & '60), it is where the back seat in a wagon goes. I haven't seen any that were accessable from the cab, though. If you remove the bolts at the front of the bed you can access it there. It seems a previous owner installed a boot for you, very nice of him.

------------------
Pat Kelley
66 & 67 El Caminos

[This message has been edited by Pat Kelley (edited 07-12-99).]

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Just checked the catalog from El Camino store and they do not list a compartment for anything earlier than '68. I do not know if this means that '68 was the first year or not. maybe just another clue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.