Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help with a dash light problem. I have a 65 el camino that has power on the dash light positive side when not on. This will not let the dash lights work when switched on.
I have looked for a short under the dash and rear end. I have tail lights. I have pulled all the dash bulbs out.I have run a continuity check from ground though the positive and wiggled the wiring harness and can make the short go away for a moment then come back.
Does anyone out there had this problem or know how to solve it.
I have checked the switch it seems ok.
HELP
Thanks

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
the only thing thats not working is the dash lite? & by wiggling the loom they come on ?? take the headlite conection off the switch & clean also clean the switch...take it out of dash blow clean with air gun .. then give wd 40 overhaul..blow dry again reinstall

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I don't quite understand this:
"I have a 65 el camino that has power on the dash light positive side when not on. This will not let the dash lights work when switched on."

Are you saying that you see a short to ground? Does the instrument lamps fuse blow when you turn on the headlight switch? I think it's the fourth fuse from the top.

When you measure the lamp positive wire (gray) to ground (continuity) you have to remove all the lamps. Otherwise you will get a false reading.

When you are measuring things, have you removed the instrument lamps fuse? I'd take that out, clip the meter on the fuse clip that goes to the gray wire, and try wiggling again. Guessing at this point it's one of the dash lamp sockets.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts