Chevelles.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who here has pictures of their custom dash 65's please but any year will be helpful, thanks

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
65 do you have directions on how to make it? do you have more pictures that you could send me? was it hard to make it? is your car fuel injected? how much did it cost to make it or buy it? thanks

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Originally posted by yipman64:
Check out www.covansclassics.com They look really nice. I have been eyeing them up.
HI;

We can't get the link to take. Any other ideas?

R/J/MAXX2

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Originally posted by 65elcamino:
Here is a picture of mine, I started with a 64 bezel and replaced the faceplate. I also learned that the 64 and 65 bezels are not identical at the bottom corners. The 64 has smaller radius curves, so you have to modify the bottom corners of the dash metal.

Custom Dash
Now That Is Just Downright Beautiful!!!!!

Very few on this site have any idea what it took to design and build this dash!!!!!

Just Downright Beautiful!!!!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
I designed the faceplate on a CAD system and sent the electronic file to a shop to have it cut using the water jet process. This allowed me to design the turn signal arrows into the faceplate rather than just install leds or light sockets. I started with a 64 dash bezel and trimmed the faceplate to leave 1/4" for the new faceplate to rest on. I bonded the new panel in with epoxy and then fabbed up a couple of brackets on the backside to clamp against the edges of the plastic bezel to reinforce the epoxy bond. These brackets are mounted to the gauge clamps holding the gauges in. It is a very strong piece and turned out very nicely. The only problems I ran into to was the radius issue and I had to bend one of the column support rods to allow the speedometer cable to connnect without binding. Look closely at bottom corners of the first picture for the corner mods I have to finish.

Here are some more pictures I have, sorry none of the back.

Custom Dash 1

Custom Dash 2

Custom Dash 3

My El Camino is not fuel injected.

I can tell you that beauty costs. The gauges cost $500.00, the stereo $200.00, the vents and ducting $30.00, used 64 bezel $25.00, and faceplate $190.00.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
damn thats alot of money. if it gets stolen o my god i would be so pissed cuz you wont get a dime back from them for your dash

·
Registered
358 Posts
guys Im in the process of doing this right now check my web site for updates, (Under other pics) im still working on dash config. hope to have this done in a week or so??

Brian

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Originally posted by jocww:
damn thats alot of money. if it gets stolen o my god i would be so pissed cuz you wont get a dime back from them for your dash
It really isn't alot of $$$s. Posts on this site show that Team Members have paid around $1,000.00 to have a '70-'72 Dash restored. That is a full side to side dash, but is within reason.

It really depends on what you want (?)

Stock?

Race?

?????

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i want to be able to see my guages and i dont like the place where i must put the 3 stooges. and i sure as hell hate the lights all they are good for is to tell you, you just ****ed your engine up so not full out race but not stock and nice medium

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Back To The "Drawing Board" (?)

It's tough designing these, however, you may have to design and then build a sheetmetal or aluminum pattern first, unless of course you want to stay with the plastic type of bezel.

There is a guy here in Las Vegas that builds Billet Aluminum Bezels for various years of GM cars, and an example is the year you are looking for. Satin finish with ball mill groves is around $500.00 +/- (Yes that is correct).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts