Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed a 65' column into my 66' Elky converted 3 spd on the tree
to 4spd (floor) the 65' Column is a floor shift. When I installed i think there were some parts missing and something is broken like the horn contact??

does anyone have a picture of the horn contact assy. not sure how it is to go. I have the gutz of the 66' column will they interchg?

also what about the neutral safety swt. 66 is on the column! 65' it wasn't any clue has to how to re connect?

thx

70' SS 427........
66' Elky 283,4spd.....
50' Chevy pickup streetrod....350/350

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Best advice I can give you is to buy an assembly manual.
65-66 steering column stuff should interchange.

·
Super Moderator
16,196 Posts
Best advice I can give you is to buy an assembly manual.
65-66 steering column stuff should interchange.
I'm not so sure about that, the '65 doesn't have a neutral safety switch at all.

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
I'm not so sure about that, the '65 doesn't have a neutral safety switch at all.
from what I have been told for the most part it is the same column.

·
Super Moderator
16,196 Posts
Here are some photos of a '65 4-speed column horn contact. Look at them in order to see how things come apart.

http://heartland.chevelles.net/RCstorage/horncontact/

There were two styles of turnsignal switches used, I don't have a photo of the other one but when it comes to the horn contact portion, they both function the same.

·
Super Moderator
16,196 Posts
btw....the floor shift automatic had a neutral saftey switch...don't know how the 4speed version is set up.:(
No kidding? I learned something today! (I've never owned a '65 with an automatic.)

But then, wouldn't the neutral safety switch be part of the shifter? I think the floor shift auto and floor shift 3- and 4-speed columns are all the same.

I wonder if the column shift auto column has a neutral safety switch? I know the floor shift columns do not. I don't think the column shift manuals do not (talking about '65 specifically here).

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
The column shift autos have a neutral switch on top of the column - down low just before the column goes thru the firewall. 3 and 4 speed manuals did not have neutral switches - just a linkage to a backup light switch. Good Luck, OLDED

1 - 8 of 8 Posts