Chevelles.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 65 Chevelle I bought came without seats. Anyone running seats other than original ones. Like newer Camaro, Cadillac, Buick or any other newer car. Also any rear seats used out of these type cars?

Thanks

·
Registered
14,548 Posts
unless your doing like a pro touring or a resto mod, late model seats to me looks a little out of place. the pro car seats look nice. jim

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
I put the ProCar Pro90 lowback seats in my 64 Elky.
I ended up making my own brackets just for personal preference because the Procar brackets made the seats too high for me.
But I really like the seats. Very comfortable and look right for that year.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I've got 2007 Maxima seats in my 64. They do look out of place when you first install them, but man, high back, fully bolstered, 8 way power, perfect headrest placement for long drives, car is a joy to drive. The smell of leather is just the added bonus.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
You might look at some of the later model Chevelle/ GTO seats from late 1960s-1970s. The stock 1964 Chevelle seats are too low and come to like mid shoulder/back. They are also a safety issue being that low which is why they raised the back up in the later years.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
I put the ProCar Pro90 lowback seats in my 64 Elky.
I ended up making my own brackets just for personal preference because the Procar brackets made the seats too high for me.
But I really like the seats. Very comfortable and look right for that year.

Also went with the ProCar in my 64 El Camino daily driver project. Liked them in the wife's Camaro so it was an easy choice. I went with the Rally but the low back would look a bit more period correct if you are after that look. Like others have said, the procar brackets do sit them pretty high in the car so if you are tall they may need modified or make your own.

Link: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sca-80-1000-51l?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKCAiA1rPyBRAREiwA1UIy8H2S3MS1oVnWsbUTHb9zLw9-uH70ukVcoZ_rlM0Lw2WdsOcrCSsiwhoC8NMQAvD_BwE

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 1972 Chevell bench seat in my 1965 El Camino it has a higher back than original and has headrests. It doesn’t look too out of place.

·
Registered
8,232 Posts
You might look at some of the later model Chevelle/ GTO seats from late 1960s-1970s. The stock 1964 Chevelle seats are too low and come to like mid shoulder/back. They are also a safety issue being that low which is why they raised the back up in the later years.
Aren't 64-72 the same frame other than the headrest?

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Aren't 64-72 the same frame other than the headrest?

There's other differences. No 64-66 seats, buckets or bench, have release latches. Seat backs can come forward during a hard braking incident, but the height of the bench seat backs are pretty much the same.

·
Registered
8,232 Posts
There's other differences. No 64-66 seats, buckets or bench, have release latches. Seat backs can come forward during a hard braking incident, but the height of the bench seat backs are pretty much the same.
Ok, other than the headrest and seat latches. I fixed it.:grin2:

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I looked on Ecklers and it appears the 1966-1968 bucket is one frame and the 1969 and later buckets are a different frame. I have seats out of a 1969 GTO and they are a little higher in the back (without head rest) than the stock Chevelle bucket seats. Did not see any bucket seat frames for the 1965.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
I just received the Low Back TMI seats for my 65. Not install yet.

I looked for donor seats but since I wanted Red I was going to have more wrapped up in buying the donor and then recovering in desired color. Thats why I choose the TMI option. Plus I sold my OE seat frames for nearly $500 so that helped offset the cost.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,232 Posts

I looked for donor seats but since I wanted Red I was going to have more wrapped up in buying the donor and then recovering in desired color. Thats why I choose the TMI option. Plus I sold my OE seat frames for nearly $500 so that helped offset the cost.
Nice looking seats. Do you have a link for them?

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I am using mid-late 90’s Camry seats . Real close to the same dimension as the original buckets . Made my own frames to mount them , sit real nice , bolt in the factory location , and recline . Cost $25 each at pull-a-part , will cost me $350 to reupholster them .

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts

So what will you be doing for the back seat?
Does TMI sell matching covers for the back seat?

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Yes, the rear cover matches exactly the pattern of the fronts. Next time i'm in the shop I'll unbox it and take a picture.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts