Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am restoring a 65 Chevelle SS with an LT 1 gen five motor. I’m trying to figure out what headers or exhaust system to use. Are there any Restomod kits available that use an H pipe or X pipe or do I have to do custom?

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
I used a MagnaFlow kit in my 67 with an x pipe and it fit great. Great price too. All stainless.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What motor did you put that kit on? Did you have to do anything different to connect the exhaust underneath? Speed Engineering told me they could sell me headers but don’t sell a kit with headers coming off an LT1 for a 65 chevelle since width and distances are different for that motor and an A frame.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I am restoring a 65 Chevelle SS with an LT 1 gen five motor. I’m trying to figure out what headers or exhaust system to use. Are there any Restomod kits available that use an H pipe or X pipe or do I have to do custom?
I used Pypes system. Stainless steel, fit well, mandrel bent, with or without mufflers so you can use what you want and reasonably priced.

Reactions: Kirk's67SS

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
What motor did you put that kit on? Did you have to do anything different to connect the exhaust underneath? Speed Engineering told me they could sell me headers but don’t sell a kit with headers coming off an LT1 for a 65 chevelle since width and distances are different for that motor and an A frame.

I put it on a LS with shorty headers. I made down pipes from one of the tailpipe options that come with the kit. If your headers exit pointing towards the rear you should be good.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Tdub, here are your options from Pypes, MagnaFlow, and Flowmaster:

Flowmaster- They have H-pipe systems in both aluminized and stainless steel, both with Super 40 mufflers.
Also available in aluminized steel with no mufflers. They also have a stainless kit with Super 40's and 64-67 specific tailpipes.
https://classicmusclecarexhaust.com/c/quick-search/general-motors/a-body/flowmaster

MagnaFlow- They offer an X-pipe stainless system with 14" mufflers.
https://classicmusclecarexhaust.com/c/quick-search/general-motors/a-body/magnaflow

Pypes- They offer H-pipe, X-pipe, and straight pipe systems, all in stainless. They have a choice of 3 styles of mufflers, or no mufflers at all.
https://classicmusclecarexhaust.com/c/quick-search/general-motors/a-body/pypes

As you can see, you have a decent amount of choices out there. Sounds like you have a real fun project there!

·
Premium Member
'66 Aztec Bronze
1,314 Posts
If your headers exit pointing towards the rear you should be good.
First you need to research a set of headers that will fit your motor in your 65. Once you establish that; then decide which of the exhaust system you want to go with.

As listed - there are several choices in exhaust systems for your car that will easily adapt to different widths of where the headers exit.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I'm happy with the Holley Hooker Blackheart headers for the Gen 3 LS engine in my 70 El Camino. Behind the headers, its a local muffler shop, custom built, H-pipe-equipped, Magnaflow mufflered system.

No drone, no major complaints though I suppose it could be a little louder.

Rick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts