Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a 10si alt in my car and am replacing the amp gauge with a volt gauge.

I have the wiring diagram, but the SS gauge package is not shown.

I was told that the gauge uses a shunt located inside the engine compartment to measure the current, rather than route all the juice through the gauge.

Where is this shunt, and what does it look like? I'd like to get rid of it with the gauge, even if the resistance is small just to clean things up.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
It'll be up on the rad support. Or rather, I should say the wiring will be. I believe you'll find two smaller black wires connected into the main power wires on the rad support with one to the horn relay and the other connected somewhere towards the battery. GM used a piece of wire as the shunt. You'll probably want to disconnect the small wires if the other end isn't being connected anymore. Or, you could ground one and leave the other connected to run the voltmeter. You just have to get the right one grounded so the meter voltage isn't reversed.

Peter

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Thought the 65 used a real resistor for a shunt. The 64 does but I'm not sure it's in the same location.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
If John is right (I bet he is), the shunt will be a block with 2 heavy wires and 2 light wires connected to it. It should be in the wire between the horn relay and the battery since that's what's typically measured.

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,214 Posts
65's do not have a "resistor" for the shunt.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if there is no "resistor", there will just be a length of wire with 2 wires spliced into it which goes to the gauge?

Is the wire "resistor wire" or does the gauge just measure the voltage drop between two points in the system?

thanks,

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Measures voltage drop across the wire.
The 64s are just a different car. One more thing that makes them different from the rest.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked around on the core support and think I may have found it. there is something by the battery that looks like it could be it. I will have to remove the battery to get a good look at it.

Is it supposed to be closer to the battery or horn relay?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Originally posted by cperrell:
I looked around on the core support and think I may have found it. there is something by the battery that looks like it could be it. I will have to remove the battery to get a good look at it.

Is it supposed to be closer to the battery or horn relay?
From what I heard by asking around they don't exist on a 65. Almost sounds like you are looking at the positive cable junction block.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Charles, it will be a standard piece of wire (10 guage) and it will have to be fairly long to get enough voltage drop to create the signal. You're looking for 2 small wires (black maybe) spliced into the heavy 10 gauge wiring at the rad support which then run to the firewall connector. Maybe 1 wire connected at the horn relay and the other at the terminal block you're looking at. Sorry, I'm not sure of the colour or where they attach.

Peter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts