Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are two types one all plastic the other part metal whats the difference? can I use either one in my car?

·
Administrator
16,203 Posts
Ed I don't think the switches will interchange in the housing, but I may be wrong. The column I have has the metal base with plastic turn signal switch. The plastic part is toast. If you need the housing for this type of switch let me know I'll send it off to you no charge.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Two different brands. BPC and Guide. The names should be marked on them. Believe on the bottom. Don't believe they interchange. Best I can do off the top of my head.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the input, I have the plastic type in the car now but they are hard to find, I am tracking two on ebay I will have to find out what kind they are,

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my switch shorted out a caused a bunch of wires to melt in the process. right now I have the colum bypassed and another harness standing by for when I get the new switch

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Have a 64 all plastic switch you can have for the shipping cost. The actuator is new but the base is original. Base plastic is dry 'cause it's 40 years old. Not much to lose with that price. Play around with it. Your call.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
John that would be great, if you let me know how much I will send it right out, thanks

Philip I got the package it looks good I hope to be putting it in real soon, thanks again

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Send me your address to my listed email. Don't know how well this will work but you can play with it. These switches have a couple of plastic "fingers" on the side that hold the actuator when you flip it into turn signal mode. Over time these can dry, slightly warp, and don't hold the actuator well. You can have it and it will probably work but may be a bit annoying at times.
It's probably no different than the 40 year old ones listed on Ebay. They look OK but are pretty dried out and tired.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you have mail

·
Super Moderator
16,020 Posts
I know these have been reproduced. I put a reproduction one in my '65 and it works great. I don't suppose there was any difference from '64 to '65.

If the rebuilt used parts don't work, look for the reproduction.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by Rich-L79:
I know these have been reproduced. I put a reproduction one in my '65 and it works great. I don't suppose there was any difference from '64 to '65.

If the rebuilt used parts don't work, look for the reproduction.
You're right Rich. Still looks like they are still out there reproduced. I'll still send the old one to Ed if he still wants it. Ain't doing me any good.
http://www.true-connections.com/cat/page40.htm

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I never checked that site, thanks

John I am still interested.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts