Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the firewall there is a two post block with a red wire comming from the Batt post on the Solenoid, A red wire going thru the firewall and a third wire (red) to the Conv top switch.
Is this just a Term block and makes no diffrence to the post the top is connected?
Or is this some kind of Fuse block?
I had removed the wire for the top and forgot what post it came off.
(Edit) My 72 has a Block but it looks more like a relay.
Thanks, Bob J.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
The factory installed an auto fuse in the power feed to the convert top. It is designed to open when it's current rating is exceeded, after a short time it will reclose. Sounds like what your describing. It would have been connected to the horn relay, power source, and the second post connects to the power top. If the power source is from the solenoid, I assume you mean the starter solenoid, it will work just as good. So the power source will connect to one terminal, the power to the top will connect on the other. I don't think it matters which terminal gets the power, just as long as the current flows through the auto fuse. As far as the third wire, without knowing what it is for I can't say which terminal it should connect to. Maybe power seat or power windows, if it is then it will connect with the top power feed.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that is it. Yes the red wire comes from the Battery post on the starter solenoid.
Now I need to move the power top to the other post.
I found a 65 wiring diagram, This set up was also used for the power window of a wagon tailgate.
I will get under my dash and find what the other red wire feeds. Or I will disconnect it and see what don't work.
Thanks, Bob J.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts