Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the 64 is a one year size, did a search and found the GM part # at 50$ a piece I would like to find them a little cheaper. UMI has poly ones at about 40$ but really don't want poly. Anyone have a link to other brands?

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
I know that the 64 is a one year size, did a search and found the GM part # at 50$ a piece I would like to find them a little cheaper. UMI has poly ones at about 40$ but really don't want poly. Anyone have a link to other brands?
I've heard you have to keep the upper bushing steel shells, in place, as they're not available with replacement bushings?

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
This may help you.

https://www.lever-family-racing.com...sion-2/gm-a-body-64-72/64-rear-upper-bushings

64 Rear Upper Control Arm Bushings

Some of you may know that the bushings in the rear differential in the 1964 GM A-Body cars were a one year design. They had a smaller outside diameter (1.375″) then the bushings installed in the 1965 through 1972 (1.860″).

I was talking with a gentleman from Texas (Bill Sirakos, you can reach him at [email protected] ).

He provided me with this information and I thought I would pass it on.

“The 1964 bushings are a one-year-only part. They are being reproduced by Rare Parts, Inc., but they are pricey. The bushing is part number 9773067, which is the same as the original GM part number. Some of the Pontiac guys I talk with also say that NAPA carries the Rare Parts bushing under the part number RPC 15612 (http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPag...Control+Arm+Bushing+-+Upper+-+Rear+Suspension) .

I’ve looked at the pic of the bushing on the NAPAAUTOPARTS website ( http://www.napaonline.com/ ) and it looks correct, but I have not tried it.”
The last pictures on this pages show two NOS bushings with the GM part number 9773067 on them.

·
Administrator
16,207 Posts
They are available from NAPA but it will be a special order from the warehouse in Stockton CA. and they are $80 list and around $53 retail. Your local NAPA dealer may be able to give you a better price. I would sell them out of our store for around $40 each to one of our regular customers and still make a small profit.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,330 Posts
I think I still have a set of the adjustable upper arms for that deal. Somewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
I think I still have a set of the adjustable upper arms for that deal. Somewhere.
I have the arms,but not the adjustable cams.

Glenn

·
Administrator
16,207 Posts
Tom's are complete, i removed them from an El Camino that was parted out and gave them to him. They only fit 64 rear ends, the ears are too big on the 65 and newer. GM had a good idea making them adjustable, maybe the reason they were discontinued was an assembly line nightmare. One more step slowing down production.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I may be confused, I know the bushings are a 1 year make for the 64, are you saying the upper arms are also a one year make? My overall plan is to have adjustable uppers and non adjustable lowers. With the LS swap I know that adjustment will be needed for pinion angle.

·
Vendor
1,485 Posts
I may be confused, I know the bushings are a 1 year make for the 64, are you saying the upper arms are also a one year make? My overall plan is to have adjustable uppers and non adjustable lowers. With the LS swap I know that adjustment will be needed for pinion angle.
Only the bushings are a one year deal..

64-67 uppers are 12 15/16" center to center of bolt holes

68-72 uppers are 10 1/4"

73-77 uppers are 11 1/4"

All year lowers are 22" center to center in length

Craig

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Ramey, I felt confident in the arms being 64-67, my concern was with the bushings, I knew they were 64 only, just looking for some more reasonably priced ones. Ill check with Classic Muscle. Ill be calling UMI sometime in the near future.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts