Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 speed wiper motor, with it out of the car, shouldn't I be able to spin the motor?

I have no turn signals. I checked and have ground to the one connecter wire and I have power to another. The rest of the wires are neither ground or power. Am I correct that I should have only one ground, and that I should have power in the other wires when using the turn signals. If no power to any of the other wires, is it likely the turn signal switch?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
Wipers - on the 2-speed units it's a worm gear drive system, so you probably won't be able to turn the motor (through the output arm) because of this.

I rebuilt mine, but it's so long ago I've forgotten the details.

Turn Signals - Do your brake lights function correctly?? The turn signal switch makes/breaks the brake light circuit, and "inserts" the flasher circuit into whichever side (L or R) that the lever is thrown.

Tough to T-shoot with the info you've provided.

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
The wiring diagram I've got for '64 is for crap. It's all over the place, and I don't have a scanner to get it to you.

Silly, but have you checked your flasher unit??

I had a similar problem. What happened on mine is the contacts inside the turnsignal switch had lost their "springyness" over 35 years.

Imagine a "U" shaped strip of brass, with little contact buttons at the ends of the "U". Between the "legs" of the U, is a cam. (It's not really a "U", but two individual strips in plastic slots - but for clarity's sake...)

When you move the turnsignal lever, the cam twists inside the "legs", and moves them over to another set of contacts. When you release the lever, the "legs" spring back to the normal position.

Mine weren't either springing back, or not moving far enough to make contact. After pulling the steering wheel, I was able to dis-assemble the switch, and pull the little brass strips out. Some CAREFUL bending with a little needlenose got the switch to work again. (Don't use too much force, as the brass strips are hardened, and will break!!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts