Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 64 Malibu which needed a new radiator and had no fan shroud.
I bought a four core radiator which is 23" wide. Do I have to find an original metal fan shroud? The car has a 327 with TH350 transmission if that matters. Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Milo,
my 64 has no shroud.Dont know if factory put one in there or not.If your engine temp. is "OK" I would'nt worry with it. Just my $.02 Tony

·
Registered
326 Posts
After reading your question I went to my photo album from car shows. I realized I have seen 64s and 65s with shrouds. Plastic ones. I have never asked where they got them. I feel like an idiot since I now want one for my 65.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also: What should be the minimum clearance between the fan and the radiator? My Malibu has a spacer on it which puts the fan less then 1" from the radiator. Thanks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I run a big block in my 64 and when I need something for the application and just tell the vendor its for a 66 never had any major problems. Run a 4 core rad and the plastic shroud from a 66. There were no really significant changes until 68

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Milo, I'm not sure how close the fan should be to the rad, but for efficiency <1" is probably acceptable. The standard rad for a small block ('64-'67) was 23" wide and used a brazed-on finger guard on the top of the tank. A/C cars & V01 cars used a 25" wide rad that used a fan shroud rather than a metal finger guard. Sometimes the really high performance once omitted the shroud (L88s), but they were intended for racing, not stop-and-go (go!!).

·
Registered
76 Posts
I spoke to Don Hughey (Hughey's Chevelle Ranch) about a shroud a year or so ago. He told me that for '64 only a/c or 327 high performance cars had shrouds. They were metal. Don can get you a 'composite' shroud if you want one. I bought one for my '64 with Vintage Air and 327/250 hp.

The stock radiator with a shroud is different from a non shroud car. The radiator has a flange toward the front and rear of the radiator. The front flange mounts the radiator to the spacer. The rear flange is for mounting the shroud.

The above is what I think to be true. You should confirm it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Good day folks

As far as I am aware, the only time a shroud came on a 64 was the 327 application with air. Mine being a 283/pg no such thing was with it. So! I installed a new rad with the dual flanges as described by Jerry and then installed a repro fiberglass shroud meant for a 66. It fit beautifully and works a charm.

Hope it helps

------------------
The proud owner of a Canadian 64-SS with ZZ4 Power!
Team Chevelle Gold Member #37
Canadian Classic Chevelles & Beaumonts Member #350
WebSite www.magma.ca/~ssoltesz

·
Registered
9 Posts
I must ask a question, was the inlet on a 64 & 65 radiator on the right side and 66 and newer was on the left? How do late model shrouds fit on the early model radiator?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the help. I took my radiator down to a shop and had them put some clips on to bolt the fan shroud to. Everything is installed and running cool. Thanks again.

·
Registered
76 Posts
What shroud did you use? I finally got around to attempting to install the one I got from Hughey - and it is too deep. That is, there's not enough clearance between the radiator and the power steering pump.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.