Chevelles.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to attempt to put a new headliner in my 64. Any suggestions before I start to pull my hair out? I have never put a headliner in a car before so this will be a totally new experience for me. Any and all suggestion are welcome.

·
Registered
348 Posts
To start with, first mark the center on the backside at the front and back. Also, mark the roof so that you can align the headliner. Be sure to note the positions of each of the bows and do not mix them up. Install the headliner on the bows and hang it inside the car. Pull the material to the the front and back edges to see where they will make contact. Trim these edges leaving about 2". Next spray the edges of the material and the roof headliner strips and allow the adhesive to get sticky. Then start pulling forward and towards the side (slighty stretching the material but not much) at the center and attaching the material to the strip. Do the front edge and then the back. Next move on to the sides and repeat. Try to minimize wrinkles, but you won't be able avoid them completely. After the material is installed, install the C-pillar pieces, windlacing, and front and rear window trim pieces. Next use a heat gun to heat the headliner so that it slightly sags. When it cools, the wrinkles will be pulled out. You may need to repeat this process. Be very CAREFULL when heating the headliner that you don't get it to hot that you melt it, keep the heat gun moving and don't stop in any one spot. A hair dryer will work but takes a little longer, but is also a little safer about not melting the headliner.

------------------
Brian TC#1092, ACES#4374
---------------------------------------------------------
1965 El Camino Before Restoration (My Hotrod)
1981 Corvette (Daily Driver)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts