Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with getting my headlights oriented right, not aimed, but actually setup correctly on the car. I posted this here because it isn't an actual electrical problem, but more of a mechanical issue. Please move it if you think it better fits somewhere.

When I install the lights using the correct LH and RH mounting plates, and buckets, the driver side low beam and passenger side high beam are oriented vertically, and the other two are upside down. This causes a very weird light pattern and as far as I know very wrong. My understanding is that the writing/name on the bulb itself should be pointed up so you can read it, which gives the correct light pattern down the road. The glass tabs on the back of the lightbulbs and the corresponding slots in the buckets do not allow for proper alignment while having the trim rings seat properly. I have stared at all the parts for a long time, and I can't seem to get it to work out. Am I missing something? How have others got the lights to line up correctly when properly installed on the car? I have double checked my parts and I'm pretty sure they are all right, and correct for this car. Any help is much appreciated! Please take a look at the pictures below to see if there is something I am missing.

Scott

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,636 Posts
Are the headlight buckets original ?? Its been a long time since I have looked at a 4 round headlight system but I don't think I have ever seen a headlight where the "words" are not in a "normal" horizontal position when installed.

·
Super Moderator
15,883 Posts
I think you have your headlight buckets on the wrong sides. You do know that LEFT and RIGHT as marked on the part are considered from sitting in the car, not looking at the car from the front, correct? In other words LEFT = drivers side, RIGHT = passenger side.

The adjusting/aiming screws should be at the top, not the bottom as in your photos. Then you have to use the proper bulb buckets, all of which are marked L1, L2, R1, R2, though I don't recall off the top of my head which goes where but a bit of trial and error fitting will sort that out pretty easily.

And yes, all the bulbs should be straight up with the labeling in the lens horizontal and right side up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for chiming in. I was thinking that maybe the parts the light buckets attach to were on the incorrect side. I thought there was a bracket on the back of them that went down to mount the filler piece above the bumper, but will have to re-look at it when I get home tonight. I am aware that Left and Right are referenced when sitting in the driver seat, thank you for double checking. Also, the pictures of the buckets above are very helpful, thank you! Mine are repros from Ecklers or OPGI or somewhere like that, so I would hope they are correct... I will check tonight and report back. Thanks again for the input so far!

Scott

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Just guessing, but it's likely your backing plates are on the wrong side and mounted upside down. At least it won't cost anything to swap them around.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So now Im really confused...I thought the light brackets being upside down was the problem but I did some more investigating when I got home tonight and it appears they are correct, and the aiming screws should be on the bottom and sides...see the pictures of my 64 Chevelle assembly guide and manual.

Also, I looked at my light buckets, and they are just stamped A and B, nothing more that would specify side. The bulbs I have are 5006 for low/high beams and 5001 for high beams. Each light only fits into 1 bucket respectively, highs in the B bucket, and lows in the A bucket, so I am assuming one set per side. I lined my buckets up in the same orientation as the picture in the post above and they seem to match...but mine are supposed to be 180 degrees from those so I don't know what's going on there.

That brings me to my last question, do the 5006 and 5001 bulbs work, or do I need the specific GM T3 bulbs? I can't find a ton of info or pictures of the back of the T3 bulbs, but maybe they have a different orientation of the glass locating nubs on the back.

Scott

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,883 Posts
Had no idea the aiming screws were the opposite of how they sit in a 65. If that's the case then I'd venture a guess that the individual bulb buckets are to blame. Did you say they were reproductions? I would guess they listed them wrong. When I look at OPGI they list buckets for 65-70 but have nothing for 64. I would now have to assume the 64 versions are unique and they don't look to be reproduced. You'd probably have to find a good set of used ones.

Maybe someone more well versed in 64s can pipe in with more helpful and specific information. I'll see if I can chase someone down to take a look.

·
Super Moderator
15,883 Posts
Most other places list the reproduction headlight buckets as either 64-69 or 64-70, there seems to be no consistency. I'm very confused. The 64s have to be unique but many places have to have the repops listed wrong.

Still trying to track down a 64 knowledgeable person who can maybe shed some light (pun intended).

I'm also going to move this thread to Chevelle Tech to get it more visibility.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
If I can, I will take some pictures of my 64 El Camino headlights tomorrow.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Rich for the replies, and moving the thread to get some more visibility, I appreciate it!

I agree, I will look more into specific 64 headlight buckets, or I could always modify my current ones to move the slots, at least that way I can use what I have. Depends on how available 64 specific ones would be, I feel like they may be hard to find...

Thanks Weldon, any pictures would be helpful!

Scott

·
Super Moderator
15,883 Posts
Thanks Rich for the replies, and moving the thread to get some more visibility, I appreciate it!

I agree, I will look more into specific 64 headlight buckets, or I could always modify my current ones to move the slots, at least that way I can use what I have. Depends on how available 64 specific ones would be, I feel like they may be hard to find...

Thanks Weldon, any pictures would be helpful!

Scott
If they are indeed unique to 64 the hard part may be to find actual 64 versions. No one listing any for sale I've seen seem to distinguish in any way between 64 and the rest.

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
hopefully this helps. From my 64SS pass side, still has both high beam T-3's and Wagner halogens for low beam

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,883 Posts
hopefully this helps. From my 64SS pass side, still has both high beam T-3's
That should help a lot. Can you read what letters and numbers on on the tabs of the buckets? Should be stamped just to the side on one of the tabs where the adjusting screws connect. For 65 and up they are typically marked L1, L2, R1 and R2 depending on which version they are for a given location. I would suspect they have different codes on these as they don't look the same as those for 65 and up.

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
low beam E5, high beam E3

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
driver's side has E4 for low beam and JP for high beam. Seems weird

·
Super Moderator
15,883 Posts
low beam E5, high beam E3
Those are definitely different than 65 and up, even different codes. Well, at least the OP now knows what to search for. Unfortunately they may be hard to find as they are likely hard to find and no one seems to be aware that they are different from the later years' versions.

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
I'm wondering if it may make a difference from early to later production 64's. Mine is an early 64, probably no different, but ya never know.

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
not sure what the codes are, but there are some buckets like mine on eBay for sale

1 - 20 of 22 Posts