Team Chevelle banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm diving into an unfamiliar area of wiring. My project 64 EC is not getting a right turn signal. The left one works good. I started working back to the fuse box and the right side just barely lights the test light (dim). I checked grounds and cleaned some terminals but still no good. Working from the basics what is the best way for me to check the system. Any ideas why the test light is showing dim where the left side works fine. I'm just looking for some basic tests to help me isolate the issue. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
did you try replacing the bulbs? i had an issue a while back where hazards would work but i wouldnt get a left turn signal. changed the front signal bulb on the bumper and fixed it

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So after searching and reading various posts related to wiring and turn signals, I went back and started to ground the socket better. That did'nt do it but after taking the new bulb in and out a few times, I seated the bulb a little better and it began to work. So it was the bulb and it being seated better. Funny how when the bulb is either not grounded right or seated correctly, it causes a bad reading all the way back to the column.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
Something to consider. On my 70 L.F. Park & Turn, Very dim. The brass socket is CRIMPED to the housing. I ran a jumper wire from the BRASS BULB Socket to the chrome front bumper,,,, and WOW it lite up just fine.
So, I soldered a small wire to the brass socket and drilled a small hole in the housing ( TOP so you dont see it ) A short piece of wire and a small eyelet and a metal screw ,,, All is well. (now the socket is grounded to the housing)
This may have nothing to do with your problem, After many years, The brass socket MAY loose a good connection to the metal housing, OR have a weak connection?
Just something else to throw into the mix.
Bob

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Make sure the spring loaded contacts move freely and are not corroded. The wires will also move in and out a small amount.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts