Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I figured that I don't have a backup lamp switch and I found the wire (had the extension for manual switch running through the firewall). My question now is whether there should be another pair of wires for neutral saftey part. The switches in the catalogs look like they have another pair of terminals for that purpose. But I was killing some time on ebay today and I saw a switch "64 el camino/wagon" http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=593168834 that looked like it only had on pair of terminals. Should I be looking for another pair of wires or are they just not there?

Thanks
Steve

[This message has been edited by hooaugh (edited 07-09-2001).]

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Think your real question is about the neutral safety switch. If the car was originally built with a powerglide (RPO M35), the neutral safety wires are there. If it came with the 4-speed, no connector.
The dual switches you have seen are for the automatic set-up.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm.... maybey I should not worry too much about it then. It has a th350 now and I'm almost positive that it was built with a powerglide because it has column shift. The strange thing is, there is no backup switch on the column, and the wiring had the extension harness running through the firewall like it had manual transmission. The wiring doesn't look like its 30 years old and it is not hacked up at all, so I guess it is possible that a previous owner got a harness for a manual car? I'm sure stranger things have happened.
Thanks for your input.
Steve

------------------
Pics of my 64 El Camino
http://www.geocities.com/mullet_allstar

·
Registered
33 Posts
A column shift wouldn't be a Powerglide.
Powerglides are 2 speed automatic transmissions.My 1964 El Camino was a column shift originally also,but did not come with back-up lights,as they were an option in '64.
(at least on elkys!)Mine also has a TH350 in it now and still no back-up lights,but I got this really cool "Lokar" shifter and I am going to wire up some lights when I put it in.It has a switch built into it.-Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts