Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The time has come to pick a motor and I need help from you experts. I've been out of the hot rod game for 20 years, and I'm at the point in my project to pick a motor. The drive train components already selected are 200R4 trans, 12 bolt with 3.73 posi, all the typical stuff, Hotchiks rear control arms, 2 inch drop spindles and disc brakes up front etc.. I'm not looking for an 11 second quarter mile, but I don't want a slow poke either. I've thought about everything from a ZZ4 small block to the 502 crates. My mind and check book are open , so please help me decide. Edlebrock makes a 410 hp crate based on the ZZ4. I'm confused by all the choices. I don't want something I have to tune every weekend. Help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i could give you a million good motors but those are the motors i would like, you might not have the same interest in engines as i do. i would go with something that would pump out a few rpms, and a wicked lope at idle, your gears are perfect for some high winding. all i can say is do what makes you happy. if your concidering a zz4, you might as well get a 383. that way you can get a bit of low-end grunt, the more the merrier when it comes to chevells.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Well you asked for it so here go's.
The 64/65 have limited rear wheel well area
So big rubber Big bit is hard to come by.
for this reason I lean towards the SB motor.
A ZZ4 or the 385hp fastburn 350, are proven reliable engines. You still have great reliability easy to keep tuned a noticeable loopy idle and enough grunt to fry tires on you 64. If you want WOW in a SB try the new MOTOWN 410 cu in from world products, I think it comes in at 470HP A real Killer SB in a BOX.

My .02

Wayne

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
personaly i like the FI. no maintanance engines. how bout the ramjet350 or if you checkbook is really fat, the ramjet 502

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
GOLD Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
(OO=ss=OO)

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
I'd go with the World 415 or 427 small blocks... All new castings and make serious torque and HP all in one package.

------------------
'65 Maliblue 406SBC/PG TC #811
'97 HD Softtail Springer
Sold my '94 1LE Camaro...

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
If I was going to build my 64 convert. I'd build a 327 with the duntov 30/30 mech cam/4 speed/4.10 with 255/60R15. I don't think you can get much bigger meat under the back.

------------------
Joe Yoder
BADBU68
LSE Motivated

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
one word BIG BLOCK...nothing makes you more proud to show them your engine compartment

------------------
Bob West
1972 Malibu 454+.030
TH350-3.73's
1.79 60 ft.
12.06 @ 112.89

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.