Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing another stock tach in my car. My old one didn't ever work properly. I need to know the proper wiring of these units. I want to be sure to wire the new one correctly. Thanks

------------------
Alan
6-ZZ4-SS

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John, but I'm looking to see how to hook up the stock transmission. I got a new wiring harness for the tach. It has two wires, a brown for the coil and a black with a pink stripe with a connection to connect to another existing wire. I'm looking for what terminals on the back of the tach these wires connect???

------------------
Alan
6-ZZ4-SS

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Alan, That is one bbbeeeaaauuuutttiiiffffuulll 64, I am ssssooo jealous

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction.
Maryland Chevelle Club

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
"I'm looking for what terminals on the back of the tach these wires connect???"

I think your question is which is the positive terminal and which is the trigger terminal on the tach. Without a tach in front of me I can't be sure. A suggestion is to ask Steven K. if he would take a picture for you since he's working on the Elky right now. http://www.chevelles.com/forum/Forum22/HTML/001759.html

·
Super Moderator
16,151 Posts
The brown wire will connect to the terminal on the tach that is to the passenger side of the car (with the tach installed in the car) and the wire with the pink stripe will go on the terminal to the driver's side (or more to the top of the tach) of the unit.

At the other end, the brown wire connects to the negative side of the coil and the wire with the pink stripe connects to the fuse block in the "brake" connector.

------------------
NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998
YesterYears Chevys #52949
Rich's 1965 Malibu SS Restoration Project Progress Page
1:18 scale diecast car Detailing by Scooter

·
Super Moderator
16,151 Posts
One slight correction. The passenger side terminal is the one more on the top than the driver's side terminal. But as I said before and to be clear, as installed in the car:

brown wire to passenger side terminal and black/pink to driver's side terminal.

And by the way, if it is an original GM tach, you can't really hurt it by hooking it up wrong, it just won't work. If you get it hooked up and it doesn't work, either the tach is defective or you have the wires reversed or you have a bad connection somewhere.

[This message has been edited by Rich-L79 (edited 03-29-2002).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts