Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need information on converting 1964 chevelle from small block to big block.
My 2 big concerns are hood clearance and what oil to use. DZAUTO has been a great resource and help. He says to use the stock oil pan, but I do not have one for a big block Chevelle. Does Milodon make a stock replacement and what is the part number? The other big question is what brand and type of intake can I use and still have stock hood clearance. I need all the performance I can get so the best intake I can use will help. I do not want to modify the hood. Any help will be greatly appreciated. The motor that I will be putting in the car is a 427 that is midly built and will need to breathe as much as possible. I will be using the Demon 750 cfm
carb.

·
Registered
12,968 Posts
Which heads are you using, oval or rectangle port?
There are gobs of aftermarket intakes out there to choose from. So I won't make a recommendation there. You just need to check around and inquire about success that others have had with 64-65 conversions. There are FACTORY aluminum and cast iron intakes with with Holley and Q-jet bolt patterns.
You need to try to stay with aluminum for 2 reasons, heat dissipation and weight reduction.
My favorite FACTORY Chev oval port intake is the 68-69 Vette 390hp-427. To the best of my knowledge it is the ONLY aluminum, Q-jet intake ever made. You can use one of the adapter plates to convert it from Q-jet to Holley bolt pattern. You have to use Allen head bolts to attach it to the intake with regular bolts inserted into the adapter for a Holley.
My favorite Rect port FACTORY Chev low rise aluminum intake is the Corvette style. I'm not sure if the aluminum full size/Chevelle/Camaro intake will clear, but I think they will.

For a pan, I would advertise here and check the for sale ads here for a STOCK BB Chevelle pan. That should be a relatively easy item to find, here, as well as, other sources. They should be fairly common. If and when you find one, you might buy a windage tray from Chev.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help. I hope someone on this site that has done the conversion will answer with information on what intakes they have used. I call Edelbrock today and they said only the Performer will work with the stock hood, but after looking around Team Chevelle site I found a archives article that says that the Performer RPM will work so it is a difficult choice. I do not want to spend 200 dollars for the RPM and it not work, but I would like to have the RPM for better performance. The motor I am building is a 454 block 60 over with a steel 427 crank with 11.25 forged pistons and stock 110 cc oval port heads. I have not picked the cam yet. Do you have any suggestions? I want a good bump in the cam. I am running a 4-speed with a 12 bolt 3.32 rear end. No extras except power steering. Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
12,968 Posts
Four speed? You probably can live with .550 to .600 easy on the street. What do you other guys have in a street 427? With oval ports you are going to want to max it out around 6000rpm. Squeeze it to 7000rpm, maybe.

------------------
Tom Parsons

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.