Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be replacing the rear control arm bushings and boxing them.....who should I order the bushings from (who has the best). Does any one make a kit for boxing the arms in?
The car will be races some, mostly street. Thanks BCk

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
My impression is polys last longer then rubber (my front rubber bushing last only 6 years, the rears were like new). I have polys on the front and rear, now. I'd recommend putting them on the rear only, not the front. I had them on the rear for 6 years before doing the fronts. Great ride with rears but much more harsh with fronts and rears. Also, if you do use polys, get the polygraphites. The polyurethanes will squeak so bad they will make you go insane

------------------
Pat Kelley
66 El Camino, daily driver
67 El Camino, STRIP/street

·
Registered
162 Posts
Be aware that the rear suspension in 64s is different from other years, in that the pinion angle is adjustable. Also one of the bushings in the upper control arms is different. So you might want to watch that you get the right parts, and note the pinion angle before you take it apart. --- Carl

·
Registered
149 Posts
A tip I discovered while replacing the rear bushings on my '70: get a piece of all-thread 1/2" or 7/16" diameter, whichever will fit through the bushings, 2 nuts same size as all-thread, some big a$$ washers that won't slip over the nuts, a 1.75" socket, and something to put inside the arms to keep them from collapsing. Put a washer and nut on one end of the all-thread and slide it through a bushing. Start the bushing into the hole in the arm and put the socket on the other side of the arm over the all-thread. Put a washer against the washer and run a nut up against the washer. Brace the walls of the control arm. Get a ratchet and same size socket as the nuts and turn the nut until the bushing is pressed in. You will be finished in a few minutes instead of several hours! This makes a very difficult job extremely easy.

------------------
Mike
formerly known as gotapileof70Malibu
'70 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible
see the ragtop at:
http://genxrodsandcustoms.8m.com/mike.html
North Vernon, IN

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.