Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My brother, who lives in Phoenix AZ, found a 1964 high option Convertible Chevelle that was originally purchased out of Riverside CA. The car was built at the Van Nuys plant and remained in Ca until it's second owner relocated it to the AZ dessert. I was told the original owner was a pro golfer that was on the PGA circuit in 1964. (I'm still working on just how to validate that for whatever reason). Anyhow, the woman that I purchased the car from is very old and very sweet and has fallen on hard times due to the economy in Phoenix. I have requested specific information from her about the cars ownership history and she vowed to look. She has sent pictures of her kids and grand kids using the car for prom pictures etc. The problem is she is not sure of who she bought the car from and is having a hard time getting around let alone searching through boxes of records to appease me!! Suggestions her would be appreciated....

Now, to the real question, the car is an all #'s matching, 1964 Malibu SS Convertible, 327/300HP/glide factory four season's air car! She has pwr brakes, pwr steering, pwr windows, pwr top, tilt wheel, 2 speed wipers and many other comfort and safety options. The rear end code is ZF which is a limited slip 10 bolt / 3:36 w/ metallic brake option. I believe this car is very rare given the options and the simple fact that it's all there. My brother ( who is a custom car restorer by trade) knows I love A body Chevelles and offered the car to me when he found it through a friend of the owner. His educated advice was "this is a once in a lifetime opportunity" so I bought the car. When i shipped it back to Wa State to restore I found a car that had sat in the hot dessert sun for the past 8 years. Metal was great plastic/vinyl/rubber was junk. The frame off began... The car is currently on a rotisserie waiting for paint and the frame is back rolling after a complete restoration... all is new! My question is what will the car be worth when I'm done??? I cannot find a comparable sale or car with the same options. I've found that the L74 / 327/300HP is a very rare option in this car given GM only offered it for several months in mid 64. Does anyone know of another 64, 327/300HP convertible Chevelle SS w/ AC???? I've attached some pics of what it looked like when i purchased it and what it looks like now. Any help here is greatly appreciated!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Chad,

That's a rare bird, for sure. There were very few 64 Chevelles ever produced with the 300hp 327....it only became available very late in the model year. To find one in a convertible with a/c and all the power options to boot makes this almost certainly a one of one. Still, without any original paperwork, it will be tough to expect any future buyer to pony up a whole lot of extra $$$ over any other similarly restored 64 Chevelle SS convertible.

BTW, my love of Chevelles began with a 64 SS coupe that was bought new by a guy that worked with my dad. It was a 220hp 283, 4 speed, red with white interior. My dad borrowed it on more than one occasion and would take me for a ride in it....ultra cool to a 13 year old :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep... only 1,737 327/300hp Chevelle's were produced from June to production year end in 1964. This one happens to have the partial VIN in the Suffix of the engine which ties it directly to this car. Generally, prior to Jan 1, 1968 when it became a federal law for all engines, only higher horsepower engines like L74, L79 small blocks and most 396 engines got a partial VIN stamped on the block. I'm assuming that is why this car has one and that's a good thing for authenticating it. My main purpose of establishing an accurate value is more for insurance reasons and to simply understand what I have. I do not plan on selling her, she's arguably my first love at times...Sorry honey LOL!

I enjoyed your story on the 64 coupe! It's amazing how those childhood experiences stay with us and later determine in part, how we live our lives as adult children!! From the matchbox track to the restoration shop or car show!!

·
Premium Member
3,525 Posts
Nice find, congrats! Could only be better if it had been a 4-speed! :)

I looked at and (foolishly) did not buy a survivor 64 SS 327/300 4-spd coupe about 15 years ago. It had the partial vin stamped on the engine pad as well, contrary to what a lot of people will try to tell you. It was an Atlanta built car if I recall correctly.

You might send the Arizona DMV a request for the title history there. If they still have a file on it, then what they send to you MIGHT include a copy of the incoming title from CA with the title # on it. With the CA title #, then you MIGHT be able to get the CA title history. I have found that in some states you tend to get a lot better response with a title # than I do with the VIN #, for some reason.

Keep us posted on your restoration progress. :beers:

·
Registered
26 Posts
The only PGA player from that area I'm aware of in 1964 was Dave Stockton. He has a web site dave.stockton.com you might ask there. He is very approachable and will help if possible. If you don't get an answer let me know and I will contact his brother in law we are friends.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
You got a nice car there I like red interiors.Mine was a 4spd with limited slip 10 bolt/power top/power breaks/power steering/2spd wipers and not sure on what the original engine was but its a v8 car.I noticed on the rotisserie the dash is rotted at the windshield and the rest or the car looks solid.Its odd how these cars rot because mine was in way worse condition than yours needing floors quarters and so on but my dash is mint

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Yep... only 1,737 327/300hp Chevelle's were produced from June to production year end in 1964. This one happens to have the partial VIN in the Suffix of the engine which ties it directly to this car. Generally, prior to Jan 1, 1968 when it became a federal law for all engines, only higher horsepower engines like L74, L79 small blocks and most 396 engines got a partial VIN stamped on the block. I'm assuming that is why this car has one and that's a good thing for authenticating it. My main purpose of establishing an accurate value is more for insurance reasons and to simply understand what I have. I do not plan on selling her, she's arguably my first love at times...Sorry honey LOL!

I enjoyed your story on the 64 coupe! It's amazing how those childhood experiences stay with us and later determine in part, how we live our lives as adult children!! From the matchbox track to the restoration shop or car show!!
For insurance value, 45 to 55,000, wouldn't be out of line. Going by what my agent, put on my 64 and 67, as stated value

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only PGA player from that area I'm aware of in 1964 was Dave Stockton. He has a web site dave.stockton.com you might ask there. He is very approachable and will help if possible. If you don't get an answer let me know and I will contact his brother in law we are friends.
Doug, I sent Dave Stockton an email through his web site and have not heard back as of yet. Not sure he even gets email personally via his site. Chatting with his brother in law to confirm one way or the other would be great!! Thanks a ton for the offer to do that.

Also, thanks to all who posted, I appreciate the feed back and suggestions! Body was painted today...Yippeeee!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's a couple of update pics of the 327/300hp L74. I'm waiting on the coaters to finish the exhaust manifolds (cast iron ceramicoat) and the rebuild of the date coded water pump. I know it cost twice as much and you can't see it but I wanted the original water pump on the car. Both should be done Monday. Body is now painted and the Chassis is scheduled to go under the body next weekend. Will send pics of the new paint next week.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
$33,000.00 - $37,000.00

LOL! I have that much in the restoration... and I did it all! Remember, this is a very high optioned, Factory Air, Convertible SS, L74 327/300HP w/ a partial Vin.

The car below has all the same options except for the engine option... which is a big deal!! Check out the price tag!! Others have sold through BJ for over 50K, those were all without the L74 engine option as well. I would love to find someone who even knows someone with a 1964 convertible SS w/ PS, PW, PB, Tilt, Factory AC and an authentic L74. What is a one of a kind SS worth?

http://www.thefrankcollection.com/vehicledetails.aspx?vid=128307165

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
What is a one of a kind SS worth? ....that's a conundrum... the only way we'd find out is if you marketed and sold your car! sometime being too rare doesn't lead to more value since you won't have many of people dreaming of owning your car growing up...smaller market, less demand... not saying that concept will apply to your car, it's nice and the L74 should add some value...

ak

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What is a one of a kind SS worth? ....that's a conundrum... the only way we'd find out is if you marketed and sold your car! sometime being too rare doesn't lead to more value since you won't have many of people dreaming of owning your car growing up...smaller market, less demand... not saying that concept will apply to your car, it's nice and the L74 should add some value...

ak
I here that!! You may be right about real rare vehicles that are rare because they had little historical appeal! Haven't generally seen that in rare SS Chevelle convertibles so much. We plan on driving ours and enjoying it. The $$ value is nice but it's worth way more to me with a group of gear heads lobbing compliments at it while were choking down cold beers!! :beers:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
That's why pretty much all of us do what we do! Because we love our cars and enjoy having other people like them too! That and cold beers... I was having an xmas lunch today with 3 guys that I went to grade school with...they would all come over when i was 18-19 and help me with my car before shows, cleaning, painting etc, and I'd supply the beer and pizza! That was 20 years ago and the memories are priceless!

The "rare 1 of 1 but not worth more money" concept to me applies more so to things like yellow cars with red interior... or odd ball options etc. etc. might make a car rare but not necessarily more desirable! In the muscle car world bigger hp engines always equate to more $ in any particular model...

ak

·
Premium Member
17,391 Posts
I here that!! You may be right about real rare vehicles that are rare because they had little historical appeal! Haven't generally seen that in rare SS Chevelle convertibles so much. We plan on driving ours and enjoying it. The $$ value is nice but it's worth way more to me with a group of gear heads lobbing compliments at it while were choking down cold beers!! :beers:
Beautiful car...

I think the restoration/build quality will have alot to do with the value.

But, I think the rarity, doesn't always equate with higher values... IMO, despite the rarity, this would probably be worth similar or less than a similar '65 L79 Convertible, and probably less than a similarly equipped '66 SS convertible...

Sure, its rare (but in reality, no ones knows if its one of 1 or one of twenty+), and it has the highest HP available for that year... BUT, its still only 300 HP, its still an automatic (face it, 4-speed "performance" cars are still are worth more than powerglide cars)...

Not only will the "rare" nature of the cars have fewer people that dreamed of these cars, as prospective buyers, but just the '64 model year generally has prices lower than the rest...

Sure, maybe IF it was for sale, you might find two '64 fanatics that would get in a bidding war, but other years seem to have bigger followings, which means more potential buyers...

I'd guess a value of $35k-$50k, based on the quality of the restoration work...

Of course, "insurance"/benchracing valuation is really different than sales valuation.

http://www.thefrankcollection.com/vehicledetails.aspx?vid=128307165
Show me a dealer that doesn't have their cars overpriced... Anybody can ask anything they want, that doesn't mean thats the value...

While your car is a 300 HP, the other is a 4-speed... Your is probably more rare, but a 4-speed is probably more desirable to the general public...

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.