Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are in the process of getting a '64 convertible ready to hit the road!
The car has all new wiring and has factory guages. I need to find a "shunt" for the ammeter circuit. I have been told that '64 is all alone and that only factory guage cars used the inline "shunt". Can anyone help me with this application?
Thanks for your help. Tim

------------------
Tim
'57 210 2Dr Wagon
'67 300 Deluxe 2Dr Sedan
'72 SWB Orig 402
'81 El Camino TPI 4-speed

·
Registered
7,762 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Tim,

You are right, a stock shunt can't be found. At least I could never find one.

There are two things you can do to fix this, 1) replace the shunt with a non-stock shunt found in electronic supply catalogs (Allied Electric is one source), or 2) wire it like a '65 model if originality is not a concern.

I fixed mine by wiring it like a '65 model. The DC shunts I found were $50.00 each.

The conversion is easy, connect the one lead to the horn relay, connect the other to a length of 18 awg wire that will run along the front of the radiator support along the stock light harness. Then connect the end of this wire to the + terminal of the battery or splice into the 10 awg power lead which comes off of the + terminal. This method uses the length of the 10 awg power lead as the current shunt similar to the '65 model wiring.

As a safety measure, install a 2A inline fuse between the 18 awg and your one ammeter lead so you don't have unfused power under the dash as it was originally in the stock setup. Also insulate the connections to prevent accidental grounding. If the meter reads backwards, switch the leads around to make it read correctly.

------------------
Brian TC#1092, ACES#4374
---------------------------------------------------------
1965 El Camino Before Restoration (My Hotrod)
1981 Corvette (Daily Driver)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts