Team Chevelle banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I stumbled upon a 64 2 door wagon that I can pick up for $2,500 bucks if i want it. My car guy senses are telling me BUY IT its cheap its cheap. But my brain (girlfriend) is telling me maybe the best deal would be to run!

info about the car

The bad

right rear quarter is rough, lower section is thick bondo that is popping, the right rear tail light structure crunched up and then half way pulled straight. To error in the side of safety I would say it needs a right rear 1/4

I didnt have much time to look at the car and it was full of stuff on the inside, it for sure needs the front pans, but will most likely need full pans

the car is a roller, no engine no trans, looks like its 90% there from what I can see. IT IS FOR SURE, missing the front and rear seat maybe the back & side windows, but the trim seems to be there. Interior is stripped and I dont expect to find much of it in the car under the junk

the body has old primer and multi color paint spots (like someone started to sand it down) so who knows what kinda fun lurks once all that crap is blasted off

The frame is not correct, it has a coupe frame (NON boxed) so it will definitly need a frame

All the front sheet metal is not original to the car but is straight and nice. I'm assuming that the car suffered from a front end collision (drew that conclusion from the non original frame and the non original frame) but the doors look origninal so It couldnt have been so bad that the body is tweeked

Now for THE GOOD

It is a rare 2 door wagon and its cheap

aside from the floor pans and the right rear quarter the car LOOKS to be straight and cancer free. around the side windows and the windshield have surface rust but I really dont exspect anything more than maybe a couple of pin holes or some pitting after the area is blasted.

It does need a complete and full frame off restoration and pretty much every single part, wire, screw.

Did I mention its a 2 door wagon and its cheap;-)

What do you guys think, is this car too cheap to pass up, or should I run like hell and consider it a money black hole adverted? HELP me decide!

Thanks

·
Registered
575 Posts
Well seeing how there's probably half or less than the original total number of 2710 2dr wagons around these days I'd be taking a real good look at that one. Last one I let go still haunts me.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Sounds like it'd be a cool race car.

It's cool to have a rare car, but those rare parts will be hard to find and expensive.

You say it needs a R/H side quarter panel...Can you find one of those? Try and find one now before you buy it. That should give you an idea what finding stuff will be like if you want to make a show car out of it.

However...

If you make a race car out of it, you don't have to worry as much about finding all the 'correct' parts, and it'll sure be a unique sight at the track!

~Scotch~

·
Super Moderator
16,157 Posts
Everything between the back of the rear seat to the tailgate is unique to a two-door wagon. The interior and exterior side window trim is unique. The window frames on the doors are unique. The cargo area side panels and spare tire covers are unique. The drip rail moldings are unique. The interior rear side panels are unique (though PUI has a template now to make them in Malibu trim). The rear side glass and door glass is unique. That's most of the unique big stuff.

If any or many of these pieces are missing, expect to have a hard time finding them and spending a lot of money to get them. It can also be hard to find parts if you don't even know what they look like in the first place.

The basic quarter panels are the same as the El Camino quarter panels, but a crunched tail light section would have to be obtained from a donor car since the only quarters available are skins which don't include the tail light buckets. Serious rust is typical in the tailgate opening on the rear of the body. Floor pans are easy to repair/replace, the tailgate opening is NOT.

Personally, I'd never buy a 2-door wagon to drive or restore unless it was entirely complete and pretty solid. If you wanted an incomplete car for parts that's another thing, but the price would need to reflect "parts car" not "restoration project".

·
Premium Member
17,391 Posts
Not much more to add...

But I agree on the frame issue... The wagon frame should not be boxed. the convert and ElCamino were boxed because they did not have enough roof strength to keep the car from sagging...

Are you sure the frame was changed? or just "its not boxed"?

$2500, may sound cheap, but only if YOU enjoy a project that you are going to keep for yourself... If you are looking for an "investment", then its really not that cheap, IMO... The 2-doors may sell for more than 4-door wagons, but usually not more than a 2-door hardtop/coupe (with same equipments, etc)...

I was looking last year, and for a rusty, wrecked, incomplete car, it still sounds a bit high on the price...

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
the missing parts can be very hard to find. i have a bunch of 2 dr wagon parts for those interested. PM me. i also have a complete (needs floors) to sell. tom

·
Registered
326 Posts
Any up-dates?
I've had no problem locating parts for my project. But, I'm in no hurry. Had the wagon for along time now (8 yrs?). It's a nice therapy thing to do after a crappy day at work.
Allot of the El Camino parts will fit. The scrunched tail light area should be the same from the Elky's. My 65 has a large amount of rust around one of mine. Seats, four door wagons should have the same rears. Fronts can come out of any 64-65 with two doors and a back seat. New side glass was available. Have not checked on that in a while. And another nod, the wagon frames were not boxed. Just the Elks and Converts.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
John, still kinda of thinking but leaning towards passing on it. so the frames were not boxed? The pics on riches site for his 65 show a boxed frame?

Thanks

Tom

·
Super Moderator
16,157 Posts
John, still kinda of thinking but leaning towards passing on it. so the frames were not boxed? The pics on riches site for his 65 show a boxed frame?

Thanks

Tom
Because I specifically installed an El Camino frame in mine for a more ridgid chassis since I'm building mine as a mild Pro Touring car.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Tom,
If you decide not to buy, let some of the other folks here know who and where. I probably would if it was close by, had space, and cash. I think $2500 is a good buy. If the guys not firm, will he haggle? I keep watching Ebay prices, project 2dr wagons seem to be from 2-5k. If some one else has seen less, type in. Think I paid 3k for mine, been to long ago to remember, need to look up my old posts.
All together I'm probably around 9k total cost to date. Take maybe 4 to 6 hours a week.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
That car sounds like my wagon for the shape it is in.
The frame is not boxed but that can be changed by boxing it yourself.
The 1/4s I got are poor Elky repops that need modifying to fit at the rocker.
Floor is just the same thing as an Elky and cargo area is getting modified to fit
Interior is just something you need to get creative on, bows are needed for headliners
the rest just make the best of a bad situation.
If you buy it build it how you want JUST DON"T GO STOCK! it will be 10 times the price of what it is worth.
Offer $1500 CASH and see if he will take it, many of us here have these and can help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
also a (recent) 2-door owner... can attest that the frame was not boxed. I swapped out the original for a boxed El Camino frame.

I also have front seats (buckets) and rear cargo area side panels and spare tire covers if you (or anyone) is interested. the seats will be probably be going up on eBay soon, but contact me if you are interested.

good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So Tom,
It's now July 7th. What happened??? Didja buy it or not???

Jeff
in SW FLA
I decided to pass on the car. Its a bigger project then I was willing to tackle right now. Ive kept the guys info if anyone is interested in it!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I decided to pass on the car. Its a bigger project then I was willing to tackle right now. Ive kept the guys info if anyone is interested in it!
If you're still looking, Alrien Berg (Simi Valley) had one for sale a few months ago. Also there are quite a few folks in the SCCCC (Southern California Chevelle Camino Club)that have 2-door wagons and often they know of one or more for sale. I don't know if they have a Culver City chapter you can check and see.

I have one for sale but, I'm in Florida and I want $17,000 for mine. If you're interested let me know and I can send you info.

Good luck in your search.
Jeff

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.